Blaster internal hull crack, should i be concerned

hey all

should i be concerned about this crack?

Picture.jpg

cheers

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
No, I have had a number of them like that on every blaster I've owned. Even before I started putting them through the ringer. That is actually your bedplate, not you hull anyways. If you are worried, mark where they end with a sharpie. If they continue to get bigger you can take steps to deal with them but even then I wouldn't worry about it. Just my opinion...

ok that sounds good.

so how are the hulls made anyway? do the make a fiberglass hull then put in a bedplate made of somthing else and glue it on? i have no idea

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
The hull itself is hand laid fiberglass. The bedpalte, hoods, and little piece under the seat are all SMC (Link here). SMC has a lot of manufacturing advantages but it makes for a number of compromises on the user end (strength is a big one). Once the lower portion of the hull is laid up the bed plates are epoxied to the bottom. You can likely see some of this epoxy that has squeezed out around the edges of the bed plate in your ski if you look. It's likely brown or green. After this the upper and lower hulls are joined together using the same stuff.

If you are worried about your hull keep an eye on the transom. That is typically the first thing to go on a blaster that gets ridden aggressively. The hoods and the bond line directly under the hoods also fail if you are getting it upside down.

Top Bottom