Super Jet Iow end Impellor pitch questions

Its all about the surf!
In the past, the Hooker 9-15 seems to be the ideal pitch for use on Surf/Rec riding Superjets. Curious if anyone has went even lower like a 8-14 or 7-13? Pros/Cons?

long beach local

long beach local
I have never gone lower in a 144 pump , In your case John knowing where and how you ride launching in those awesome waves on a heavy super jet you would probably benefit the most from a lower pitch. Top speed is not important just my .02 definitely think it’s worth a try

If you go too flat your peak rpm stops rising and acceleration runs out unusually fast. Flatten the prop until the pipe hits with no lag, that's usually as good as it gets. Small engines really struggle getting on the pipe so that is what you want to work on. A racing ski can use a little more load because it helps keep speed up in rough water.

Last edited:
I have an 8/14, 8/15, and 10/16 144 Hooker. For my Superjet, the 8/15 or 9/15 worked best. The 8/14 ran out too quick.
My FX1 w/144 worked best with the 8/14.
I don't know anything about surf setups as I only ride lakes.

Its all about the surf!
Thanks for the input guys-

Jack- isn't your prop in your freak an ultra low Pitch? like 7-10? I don't remember it signing off that quickly, of course I didn't go for any speed runs You ski hit harder than any ski I've ridden yet!

Motobehrens- On your 8/14, Do you remember how quickly was the sign of? A quick sign off may not affect us for surf riding as were mainly looking for bottom end hit.

Its all about the surf!
BTW right now I'm running a 760 engine that I pulled from a couch and I'm running a 10/16 Hooker with a Solas Mag. I heard the 760 has a higher port timing so it doesn't hit hard down low, which I'm finding out to be true. My ski rips at mid to top, where I don't need it Haha! I've also heard that running an ultra thin base gasket will drop the ports and help the 760's lag. So does running that ultra thin base gasket help it or fix it? (Fix meaning its at least as good as a 701) AND most importantly is it worth the effort of a tear down?

Just remember if you drop your cylinders down you're going to need to make up the overall length difference on the head unless the stock squish allows for the change. When you lower the cylinders, you're pushing the piston further up into the head, compression will go up and the potential of detonation unless you use a thicker head gasket or custom cut domes to allow for the extra travel into the head.

long beach local

long beach local
Thanks for the input guys-

Jack- isn't your prop in your freak an ultra low Pitch? like 7-10? I don't remember it signing off that quickly, of course I didn't go for any speed runs You ski hit harder than any ski I've ridden yet!

Motobehrens- On your 8/14, Do you remember how quickly was the sign of? A quick sign off may not affect us for surf riding as were mainly looking for bottom end hit.
I have a 7/14 in a 148 pump It has decent top end for shorts bursts. I would have that hooker bent to maybe an 8/14 I bet you would be pleased and leave the motor alone and keep riding it everyday. Hope to see you soon.

my normal setups are B mod pipe 84mm unported 62T cylinders with either 44s on 62T bottom or WetJet 46 61x bottom, so not too different than yours. I usually ride at 1500ft or 700ft elevation, so I can't speak for the power difference at Sea level. It sounds like you want it to get on the pipe quicker. I would absolutely try an 8/14 hooker in your situation, to get a feel for the lower pitch. If you had the ability to bend your own, you could try several different pitches fairly quick.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
BTW right now I'm running a 760 engine that I pulled from a couch and I'm running a 10/16 Hooker with a Solas Mag. I heard the 760 has a higher port timing so it doesn't hit hard down low, which I'm finding out to be true. My ski rips at mid to top, where I don't need it Haha! I've also heard that running an ultra thin base gasket will drop the ports and help the 760's lag. So does running that ultra thin base gasket help it or fix it? (Fix meaning its at least as good as a 701) AND most importantly is it worth the effort of a tear down?
Get a zeeltronics cdi and run the wax v2 curve and bump up your compression to 170psi.

Top Bottom