Surfriding Is this a "New" move/trick?

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Sorry no vid/pics. (not pemitted where I ride..lol)
Anyway, while riding the waves that Sandy gave us, I did this thing by accident.
Worked the face for a good long groundswell ride. As the wave began to close out in front of me it offered a nice re-entry opportunity.
However, I was late coming up from the trough and ended up doing a "turn-sub-kinda-thing" thru the wave.
There was size that day, and I didn't want to get sucked over the falls, so I gunned it underwater.
Came up behind the wave with no harm done.

After giving thanks, I realized that it was kinda cool.

Your thoughts!

I've "torpedoed" straight through a wave before only because it was starting to curl and I didn't want to get 20 ft of air just to land on my ride plate.

I didn't know if it would work but afterwards I was like, hmm that's kinda cool!

I've sub'd through the face as a survival move when trying to get tubed and getting closed out. It works well, just tuck the nose, grab some throttle, and pop out the backside. It beats getting sucked up and over the falls!

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I've sub'd through the face as a survival move when trying to get tubed and getting closed out. It works well, just tuck the nose, grab some throttle, and pop out the backside. It beats getting sucked up and over the falls!

Agreed totally!
But...Like I said, it was all by accident. I was about to get munched. The logical move would have been to turn the other direction and get out in front. I don't know why I turned into the wave, but it's not hard to stick the nose of a stock sj hull into a 12' wall.
I guess the duck-dive thing is generally done thru whitewater, this happened just prior to the close.
I'm gonna try it straight-on for giggles. (instead of the turn-sub thing) . Kind of a "bail with style"...lol.

loictahiti

Site Supporter
it's cool tricks
I do that sometime, when I'm surfing the wave, and when it has no exit, and to late for jumping , the only way it's making subdiving thru the wave or .....crashing , and walking on the reef ;-)))
here , it's the price to pay for riding with wave, sun, blue and hot water ...... ;-))))

Its all about the surf!
I've done an MDD before, Like every one else-by accident! Wasn't planning that one! Get your next attempts on vid!

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Very cool!
I knew it could not be "new". Maybe thru this discussion we will see variations of it, even though it's not a fancy-air-thing.
I'm happy, as a far less than pro, to name it. "MDD"

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
iv thought about just duckdiving waves before but its always so shallow right infront of the face that if you did you might just lawndart into the bottom, rip your nose off and sink. :Flush:

I can see your point.
I never try air tricks unless the waves are big enough. I could be wrong, but generally, a wave begins to break when the depth is 1/2 the height of the wave. Not scientific. But a simple rule of thumb.

Top Bottom