Is this a sign of a bad starter?

The starter on my 01 sj just slowly spins when you turn it over, maybe one rotation per two seconds. It has a brand new battery and all the terminals are clean/corrosion free. The local auto parts can't test it. What do ya'll think?

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
ESs will be too long and will dent the pistons. I was being funny.

If it's spins well with the plugs out, the starter's probably dead. If it spins the same, I would check my connections again.

The battery is good, it's been tested on another vehicle. I already pulled the starter b/c I originally thought the starter shaft had broke/snapped or something odd. I have it out and it just slowly turns in place, it wont extend out and engage or anything, just slowly turns in place. Never seen anything like it.

Hook it up to a battery straight,hot to terminal,ground to the body of starter and then see how it spins with out a load,if it spins free and fast then stick the gear on a chunck of wood and apply pressure to see if it will spin under load.If it eats the wood up and spins fast its good,check other things does the motor turn easy by hand?

EDIT: Hold starter tightly and dont do it for to long

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
if you arent getting nearly 12.6 volts there, there is some lost to resistance in teh circuit.

measure straight across your battery, 12.6-12.7 Volts is a 100% charged battery, anything less, is well, NOT a fully charged battery.

I got my meter out and it's also getting the full 12 volts at the starter.

#ZERO

Beach Bum
Perform a voltage drop test from the battery to the starter on positive and negative cables.

You may have some corrosion built up causing some resistance in the cables or connections.

Top Bottom