Is this hull worth restoring??

I'm in the process of restoring a 96 Seadoo XP. When I removed the pump, I discovered a crack above and below the steering cable outlet. In one of the photos you can see my fingertip inserted inside of the crack. If you look close the crack starts again below the steering cable. There is no sign of it on the interior.

How does a crack like that even happen?
Is it worth restoring, or should I just scrap it for parts?

3155befc29764b7b1f26ccf721bbbceb_zpsmbuf2trm.jpg

996f59786472581744a351a6aa7445bc_zpsrfupqhpa.jpg

659a1271ea7948aba3258ee9ec816107_zpsqa4apfrt.jpg

79a5ff4ba949a6fbe88417ab06772aad_zpscttl5ccb.jpg

I'd say they are cheap enough to come by. Scrap it and buy another. If I ever crack mine, I'll just move all my parts to another hull.

Grind it down and slap some Biax on it and call it done.

In my ignorance I googled "Biax" all I found was a type of grinding tool. With that information it makes your statement sound like I'm to grind it down and then slap a grinding tool on it? I figured Biax was a type of epoxy.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
In my ignorance I googled "Biax" all I found was a type of grinding tool. With that information it makes your statement sound like I'm to grind it down and then slap a grinding tool on it? I figured Biax was a type of epoxy.
Biax is a type of fiberglass. 1708 biax mat is what Alot of us use. I personally have used 17 Oz without the stiched mat attached to it with good luck. Easier to work with.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Uscomposites.com

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you for the help. That website is a glorified catalog. Not the easiest to navigate. I looked on eBay, but could only find a $70 roll. I can get another hull for $100.

Does someone here have some extra they could sell me?

My 96 XP has very similar cracking with bulging. Only difference is the gel coat has chipped off like yours. I've been riding it like that since probably 2006 and it hasn't affected anything. The glass is pretty thick in that spot, anyways. At the most, for your own piece of mind, I'd think just fill the big gap in with thickened epoxy to prevent more water from seeping into the glass. That's not reason to scrap the hull, though. It is the best one Seadoo made, after all...!

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the help. That website is a glorified catalog. Not the easiest to navigate. I looked on eBay, but could only find a $70 roll. I can get another hull for $100.

Does someone here have some extra they could sell me?

If you call them and tell them what you need they will take care of you.

Your time to switch everything over to a new hull is valuable as well. This is a 20 minute repair and I bet all the supplies together will be less than $50.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
If you call them and tell them what you need they will take care of you.

Your time to switch everything over to a new hull is valuable as well. This is a 20 minute repair and I bet all the supplies together will be less than $50.

To you and me Shane this is an easy repair,with no experience l can understand his reluctance.l also have used some uv activated "on the spot" resin that has glass strands in it.Used on a quick repair for surf boards.Purchase in most all surf shops.Smear some in to the crack and lay a small piece of 12 oz biaxiel glass cloth over it and expose to some uv light.Wala! Repaired

Top Bottom