Is this worth welding?

I have a factory pipe limited chamber that has a crack in it, also saw that the support bracket in the pipe is broken. Took it to a welder and he said 40-60$ to weld the crack, no warranty. Is it worth welding?

I would gladly buy a new or used one but cannot find one for sale.

Yep definitely need to clean it up. Didn't ask him what method, just said he would sand blast it and weld it. Should I maybe try JB weld, just so I can ride until I find a new one?

I'm a journeyman welder with a lot of aluminum experience so here it goes. Yes it can be welded. Yes The aluminum will have to be spotless inside and out. Just welding over the crack will work, but will not last. The crack will still be there. Unless you grind out the crack and do a full penetration weld it will crack a lot faster. It might take 1 hour, it might take 100 hours. It will just depend on the vibrations. Even a full penetration weld will be a lot better, but there is still a chance it will crack. Putting a pad over the crack and welding around it is a worse idea. The crack will continue to grow until it gets to the outside and keep growing after that. You could drill holes in the crack before putting on the pad but there is good chance you will not drill into the end of the crack. For example the crack could be an inch longer than where you drill the hole. You just would not be able to see yet. Aluminum does not flex like steel does, its brittle and cracks. That's why its not used for anything structural in something like a building. Same reason why every ones light weight aluminum ATV trailer is cracked or cracking. So there is all the info. Its up to you to decide what you want to do now. I would fix it once and see how long it lasts. $600 for a used b pipe is 10 repairs. If you are will to do the work to remove the pipe and reinstall it. Never had a ski with a b pipe so I don't know how difficult it is.

And no do not use JB weld.

I really appreciate all the info alberta guy. I'll try and have it welded and see what happens, just because we are in the middle of the riding season and can't find one new or used at the moment.

If it was the middle of the winter I would probably hold out for a different one. If I have another problem after I get it welded I probably give up on it and find another exhaust system

Last edited:
I would think it would last longer if you put a piece of material over it and welded around it, would look ugly as hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The patch as mentioned above worked well for me. I first just had the crack welded but it re-cracked right away in a couple days... I then had them weld the crack again but this time add a cover over the hole area with a formed patch, no more problems, been fine 5 years and still no issues. In my case I figured the other side of the pipe would crack next so pre-patched it too

image.jpg image.jpg

when I bought my fx-1 (back in 96) My factory pipe kept cracking just like that. I contacted factory pipe to see if they could repair it for me. they told me to send them the pipe and they would replace it. I told him I wasn't the original owner. he said it didn't matter. so I shipped him my chamber and they sent me a new one. The new chamber had a center brace that the first pipe didn't have. The pipe never cracked again after that. Needless to say I was pretty happy with factory pipe. Granted it seems it was an issue they knew they had but they took care of it.

Top Bottom