itunes transfer

IceRocket1286

Site Supporter
My laptop screen broke on me and it'll cost $600 to fix, out of warranty. I got a new laptop and was wondering if there is any way I can transfer my itunes library from my old laptop to my new one? I have about 3500 songs. Or is there any way I can compress them so I can get them on a disk to transfer them?

Thanks!

if both of your laptops have windows vista they is a transfer program built right in. i have a USB transfer cable that you plug into each computer and you select which folders you want to transfer

accbr

addicted
If you're not gonna fix the old laptop then you can take the hard drive out of it. Get a USB enclosure at Best Buy or CompUsa for $20, and make it into an external drive. Just plug it into the new laptop with a USB cable. You can use it for back ups too.

michael950

for me to POOP on!
I do not remember the steps, but copy the files to your new computer and in the file menu (somewhere) there is a library backup feature. It will save your song prefs, play lists, counts, ratings, etc. in an XML file. Just make sure the file paths are the same (same user name if you do not split your HD into 2 partitions for data storage and OS files).

IceRocket1286

Site Supporter
if both of your laptops have windows vista they is a transfer program built right in. i have a USB transfer cable that you plug into each computer and you select which folders you want to transfer

only my new one has vista, my old one has xp. does that work?

is it true that using firefox in vista is bad, because windows vista is so deeply rooted with connections to internet explorer? since IE is what windows recommends and uses for their PC's etc. I like firefow alot more than explorer.

luke,

you can either hook up and external monitor to the old laptop and connect the two together using a crossover cable (different than a normal cat5/6 cable)

set-up a network between the two and drag and drop your library over

or you can yank the old hard drive and do what alan said and use an enclosure

to use that transfer program on my computer with xp i had to install the hardware on the computer first, and i am assuming that since the screen is broke you wont be able to see the screen to do install the software

IceRocket1286

Site Supporter
my old laptop is still good, it works when plugged into a monitor. However, I use my laptop at school often for homework so i needed one asap. I'm keeping my old one in hope of finding another broken one so I can switch LCD's

I've tried setting up networks on my computers at home but have had
no success.

Dan, what is a crossover cable and where can I find one? How much? Is it like a USB?

my old laptop is still good, it works when plugged into a monitor. However, I use my laptop at school often for homework so i needed one asap. I'm keeping my old one in hope of finding another broken one so I can switch LCD's

I've tried setting up networks on my computers at home but have had
no success.

Dan, what is a crossover cable and where can I find one? How much? Is it like a USB?

luke.... crossover cable can be found anywhere it is generally yellow in color and says crossover instead of patch cable on it

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
Ya, you won't be able to transfer via network sharing bwtween the XP and Vista machine. Stupid vista uses something called shadow copy. I have run into the same problem.

Are you having problems on the Vista machine when trying to pull files from the XP machine, or problems when pushing files from the xp machine to the vista. Which ever it is, try it the opposite way.

IceRocket1286

Site Supporter
I figured it out, iTunes 7.0 offers a backup program to backup all songs onto cd's as data instead of songs. Granted my 3500 songs will take up a few discs, but at least I will still have all of my stuff.

accbr

addicted
If you have a hub or router at home you can plug both into it and do what Dan said without a crossover cable. What kind of laptop do you have? We have spare parts from Dells laying around.

Big-Mellon

Work Hard - Play Harder
If you have a desktop, unplug the monitor from the tower, and plug it into your laptop. You can then load up your laptop hard drive and look at it on your desktop monitor.

From there you can transfer your files however you feel is resonable, whether it is via CD, SanDIsk, IPOD, External Hard Drive, USB, USB cable. Take you choice. If you have a big IPOD, turn on the mass storage function and use it to transfer all of your wanted files.

Top Bottom