SX/SXi/SXi Pro Jetski won't start - stator, starter or bendix?

HELP! Any advise is appreciated.

Last weekent I took my SXI to the lake and at the end of the trip it gave out. When I pushed the start button I could hear the starter spin and every once in a while I hear the engine crank a little but not enough to turn it on.

I did some reading on line and found out it could be either the Starter or the Bendix (gear between flywheel and starter). I decided to pull out the starter and open up the flywheel so I could verify which one it was. To my surprize when I opened the flywheel cover pieces of metal came out.

photo.jpg

It looks like some kind of metal cover cover got loose and destroyed in there along with some kind of a spring. I cannot figure what broke inside. I searched in the Kawasaki website and could not find any kind of part that goes inside ( https://www.kawasakiepc.com/SystemS...Model&cGroupID=&CFID=5945107&CFTOKEN=73468915 )

I tested the Starter and it works, the Bendix seems fine when I look at it and I am able to turn it with my hand so it's not stuck. All teeth are good on both Bendix and Flywheel. The teed on the starter are a little worn but does not seem too bad. Stator seems fine but it looks like it took a little beatting with what ever broke inside.

Lastly, I cleaned everything inside and decided to put it back together just to see if I was lucky and it would turn on. No luck, it cranks a little more but you can still hear the spin and it won't turn on.

Any ideas what it could be? My last resort wild be to buy the stator but before I go spending $300 plus dollars I figure I ask around.

Thanks

There is a spring and a ring installed inside the hole where the bendix top gets fixed in the front cover. You can see this hole in your photo, near where the electrical cables go out of the front cover. Maybe these parts have collapsed...

There is a small hole, with washer and spring inside the cover that receives the Bendix. I checked those and they seemed fine. See diagrams below; Part 411, 92028 and 92144 look good, did you mean another plate and spring? I don't see them in the diagrams at all. Do you think it was some kind of an aftermarket part the previous owner would have added? Thanks for your help!

E1840.jpgE1810.jpgE1431.jpg

hey dany I do not think it is aftermarket, I almost think that goes between the 92055-9255B but I do not know, hopefully people will respond if they know that is because we need the jetski ready for Friday

Last edited:
Doing an exclusion method, I believe the problem can only be the the bendix 13101, because:
The flyweel for sure it is not, since it is fixed to the crank.
The starter if it turns quickly, it should be ok too.
The flyweel cover, if you have the spring and thw washer 92028 and 92144 , nothing else matters in this case.
So I believe the problem is in the bendix that doesn't move forward when it's activated by the starter...
If it is really the bendix, I don't know how to repair it. Try to check weel the bendix, to see some damaged part. If not u can try to lub it, but with the pieces out surely something is damaged...
When the bendix is activated by the starter, with the first turn of the starter - first impact, the bendix open, and the gear move forward to connect with the flywheel.. If the engine is not turning, that's because the bendix doesn't move forward...

inside the bendix is a 3pad clutch system, (sort of) held together by a circular spring around the three pads on a plate. the plate has three sections and is quite flimsy. in you're hand is one and a half of the plate sections, the mashed up spring and abit of something else... unless you've got a few bendix's lying around to swap out parts and abit of knowhow, you're best off just buying a new one. i'd just buy a new one anyway, if the clutch has gone the whole thing's gonna be on the way out. good luck

Just wanted to give everyone an update
Iit did turn out to be the Bendix. I took it out and the inner parts were smashed.
The spring and plate that I first found came from within.
Thanks for all that responded.

Top Bottom