Surfriding Joe Kenney

Still bothers me that something so crappy happened to such a nice guy. First time I met Joe was around 2004 at a PWCToday event in Asbury Park NJ. Rob had flown in Joe from California to do some free riding, and Joe road Rob's blue Wamiltons ski. it was a rough ocean that day, and Joe just hucked every wave. He absolutely just went off.
Later that night I ended up bumping into Joe again and he asked if he could borrow a razor, the guy dry shaved like it was something he was used to doing. A whole of us ended up at a place called the Sawmill, which was a pizza place with HUGE slices and beers up in Seaside NJ, (before MTV and Jersey Shore ruined it)

One of the most down to earth guys you could ever meet. Here i was new to the sport at the time hanging out with a legend....that memory sticks with me.

I hope he continues to stay active in the sport and one day he wakes up and has vision well enough to once again shred.

Saw Joe out at pismo this am with TC ,Stanton and Edgar. He was bleading and battered from ridding TC's evo! They were headed to the local pond so Joe could flatwater flip TC's ninja! Big ass smile on his face!

Some pics/vids from Taylor Curtis' Facebook

482977_277796545672937_2098959371_n.jpg

602597_277716775680914_380001579_n.jpg

580832_277716615680930_309692355_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Still bothers me that something so crappy happened to such a nice guy. First time I met Joe was around 2004 at a PWCToday event in Asbury Park NJ. Rob had flown in Joe from California to do some free riding, and Joe road Rob's blue Wamiltons ski. it was a rough ocean that day, and Joe just hucked every wave. He absolutely just went off.
Later that night I ended up bumping into Joe again and he asked if he could borrow a razor, the guy dry shaved like it was something he was used to doing. A whole of us ended up at a place called the Sawmill, which was a pizza place with HUGE slices and beers up in Seaside NJ, (before MTV and Jersey Shore ruined it)
One of the most down to earth guys you could ever meet. Here i was new to the sport at the time hanging out with a legend....that memory sticks with me.
I hope he continues to stay active in the sport and one day he wakes up and has vision well enough to once again shred.

I've got footage somewhere from that weekend of Joe just surfriding in NJ. He was riding Paul Lehr's SJ. It was cold as hell and Joe was out there in shorts and a life jacket, nothing else. He never rode with shoes, gloves, wetsuit....nothin. He also hated footholds and used straps to ride surfstance, like Taylor. He did a clinic. It was a blast.

Tanman

Jus' keep er' pinned
Joe is such an awesome guy, i've been lucky to get to meet him and hang out with him and become friends. Joe does very well for his situation and with his mentality he will be doing as much on jetskis as possible. Its cool to see Taylor giving him something so shoot for again. I am bummed I missed it. The weekend Taylor and I wanted to take Joe just didn't work out. I missed it! Joe is an animal and the nicest guy you'll ever meet

Although I have never met Joe personally, I've heard many stories about him from back in the day when my uncle used to ride Avila beach with him and TC. Always positive, always ripped hard. Hope to meet him one day

Top Bottom