Custom/Hybrid JS water box idea...

Hey,
I recently parted out a Tide Rider that used many similar parts as the wet jet line of pwc's and found this odd water box from Hollond (or sweden? I can't remember). I need a better flowing water box for my 650 conversion and thought I could put it in. My question is: how much hull integrity will I lose by re-locating the exhaust outlet to the right side (in the same place) and placing a piece of bolted metal where the old one used to be? Also how much louder do you think this waterbox design is compared to a stock 550 exhaust?

Thanks for the help,
Chase
(\/waterbox mocked up) (\/ both ends are the same diameter)
DSC01765.JPGDSC01766.JPGDSC01767.JPGDSC01768.JPG

alex03

Alex03
it will be quite a bit louder since it is a straight through design from what i can see in the pictures or am i wrong. But as far as the hull goes if you reglass the old hole shut and make a new hole on the other side you will be fine.

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Have you mocked up the engine and pipe sitting in the hull? What pipe are you using? The stinger will most likely go much farther into the nose than that waterbox inlet is right now. You would need to get that waterbox pushed up in the nose a good bit more for it to fit. The end of my pipe is just past the front hood seal lip. The pipe outlet will also sit way higher than that. The top of my pipe is up against the hood seal lip. I'm running a 650 factory pipe in my ski.

Alex 03: It is a straight through,, baffled design. I wouldn't be glassing in the old hole, but instead making a metal block off plate to bolt over the old hole. (I have metal, and am much better at metal work than fiberglass)

N2 H20: The water box does get pushed about four inches farther up the nose of the ski, and you can't see it because of the camera angle, but the water box is already two-three inches in from the lip. I will be running a stock 650sx pipe with the hanger bracket cut off.

Thanks for the help,
Chase

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Metal over the exhaust hole will be fine. Some companies used to make metal block off plates for it. You should be fine if the waterbox is 2-3 inches past the lip. It will probably be pretty loud, though. I ran an old resonator on my conversion ski for the weekend because I blew out my water box and it was really loud. It was pretty much the same design as the box you have, just a little smaller. Nothing bad can happen from trying it, but I would suggest getting an aftermarket 550 waterbox eventually. It doesn't look like that waterbox will generate much back pressure, which is needed for a ski to run correctly and I'm sure that box will be much louder than an aftermarket 550 one.

I'm ok with all of the negatives just because I want to try it. One more option I have, is I have an exhaust outlet that used to dump the exhaust into the pump area of the tide rider. How much hull integrity would I loose by cutting a three inch hole right below the bond line just forward of where the newer 550's have their exhaust outlet.

Thanks for the help,
Chase

screaming440

The Old Skool Professor
Have you mocked up the engine and pipe sitting in the hull? What pipe are you using? The stinger will most likely go much farther into the nose than that waterbox inlet is right now. You would need to get that waterbox pushed up in the nose a good bit more for it to fit. The end of my pipe is just past the front hood seal lip. The pipe outlet will also sit way higher than that. The top of my pipe is up against the hood seal lip. I'm running a 650 factory pipe in my ski.

i agree with tbone you are going to have alignment problems with that and will likely never get that to fit.

this was likly the bigist problem i had with my conversion ski. the 550 pipes all turn in at the end and are all shorter the the 650 stuff. the only "water box" i could get to fit was a supper trap

Top Bottom