300/440/550 Js550 idles but dies when given gas

pistolpete

JET RODS!!
Guys need some help here. I have a 1988 js550 that was running like a dream until all of the sudden I was riding and it just bogged and died like it had run out of gas. The ski starts and idles like normal but when you give it some throttle it immediately bogs and dies. Doesn't matter if you ease the throttle on or just gun it the ski dies as soon as any throttle is applied. Tried messing around with the jetting and cleaning out the carb and pump diaphragm with no luck. Bypassed fuel filter to see if that was the issue and it still happened. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what is causing this?

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Check your one way valve.
When it happens pull out a sparkplug and verify you are still getting spark
Check that all your fuel lines are tight and not cracking
Replace your fuel lines going directly to your carb removing the selector switch from the equation. Also get an inline fuel filter and skip the factory filter.
If it is a new to you ski you might pull off the intake manifold and put a new gasket on it too.

pistolpete

JET RODS!!
i have not replaced or rebuilt the carb recently, I did take it apart and do a thorough clean. I don't think spark is the issue as when primed the ski runs like normal until the primed gas is burned then it is back to bog/die when throttle is applied. I will try the one way valve when I get home though as i had not thought of that.

The rev limiter actually richens the fuel mix to avoid over reving, so this wouldn't be your issue since you say it runs when you prime it. It sounds like fuel starvation. Are you sure your carb and jets are clean with no restrictions?

Guys need some help here. I have a 1988 js550 that was running like a dream until all of the sudden I was riding and it just bogged and died like it had run out of gas. The ski starts and idles like normal but when you give it some throttle it immediately bogs and dies. Doesn't matter if you ease the throttle on or just gun it the ski dies as soon as any throttle is applied. Tried messing around with the jetting and cleaning out the carb and pump diaphragm with no luck. Bypassed fuel filter to see if that was the issue and it still happened. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what is causing this?

Fuel problem.. clogged main jet?

Top Bottom