Other JSS Ebox rebuild....pics

D-Roc

I forgot!
yeah that can very well be. do you guys think that if you had some other sort of ignition issues and it could wear out the wires prematurely and then when you hit the salt it dies all together. dj, do you recall if the spark was jumping from wire to wire or jumping to a ground some where. you shoulld be able to hear the ticking if it is jumping somewhere. like i said my coil work dates back 4-maybe 5 seasons ago. i ran my jss coil with a msd enhancer so i wonder if that has anything to do with it. If you had a failure on a jss coil where you using an enhancer or stock cdi? the msd boast of stronger spark energy so it should technically be able to arc or jump easier if not getting good protected contact. I think crusty older parts may be more suseptable to arcing as well but that is just a theory.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
It jumped between the two wires...right where they were held together...(fired it up at night and sprayed with salt water) Ski was stock except for a flywheel and head. I didn't do any trouble shooting, just bought a new coil after the ride (This was one of the first Jersey Ragers).

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
This is exactly what my OEM SXR coil did. I wrapped the wires with electric tape and separated them.
It works for now, but I'll replace it before I take it to the surf.

D-Roc

I forgot!
yeah i heard that this is why racer car drivers spread their wires apart to keep it from jumping. i think trouble shooting these problems to find out why it is doing it is so important. problem is , it is easier and smarter to get the ski running so you can ride it, especially if you are hours away from home at a ride event. i don't blame anyone for swapping back to something that will work. sometimes i lay awake a night thinking. when i get stumped, I have this stupid need to know why it failed. I like to thank everyone for all their input and experience. positive or negative. if JSS has made a bad bunch in the past, i am sure he has heard about it and pulled up his socks. i think that some critisism will keep our quality control from out AM parts guys up.

I use JSS coils in surf with no dielectric grease at all and have not had any issues whatsoever.

Perhaps he ran across a bad batch of material on the way to what he is using now? Did he use short msd boots versus long boots?

I think this is the case,cause,4 out of 6 were bad right off the bat,the other 2 did all right for a while,but were sold later and replaced with oems,all the failed jss coils were replaced with oem and all the skis ran fine after they were swaped.
Everything under the sun was tried to get the jss coils to work,dielec grease,elec tape,liquid plastic,nothing worked,when sprayed with a VERY fine mist of salt water at night,the wires showed hot spots arcing all along the wire and the msd plug boots lit up like Christmas trees arcing down the plugs on ALL test skis dielec made no diff.
He offered to test them at first,but later on declined just replacing them with oem or refunding them,none of us wanted a jss coil after that even if it were free.

D-Roc

I forgot!
I agree it is all good info because 1/2 of us swear by them and the others swear at them. trying to find out if it is the product or users install/setup creating the problem is a factor that should be discussed. i don't know everyone and how good they setup their skis so if someone can convince me that they know their stuff and tried everything, then i can believe that. I can also believe that some products have defects, just not JSS in my own personal experience, and i have now used him twice.

Last edited:

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
the wires showed hot spots arcing all along the wire and the msd plug boots lit up like Christmas trees arcing down the plugs on ALL test skis dielec made no diff.

Had the same exact problem on 2 kawi coils he did for me. Had 2 done at once, both had same issue with XMAS tree plug arching when you started ski at night. Swapped out a new OEM coil and the ski ran perfect. Sucked, but I just chalked it up to a learning experience.

I will say John does very nice work on his ebox servicing. But for coils I would only run new oem.

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
I've never had an arcing personally but is it just due to sub-par or broken down insulation over the spark plug wires? When I last spoke with JSS I understood that he tests the coils and replaces the OEM wires with thicker wires

it was a few yrs ago or so. the wires looked great and thicker,but didnt work at all,I suspect it was bad wire or bad connections at the coil causing issues,the covering he uses looks cool but holds even more salt water around the wire and just made it worse. In the end its your $ If aftermarket and OEM ever cost even close to the same go oem and you wont regret it

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
it was a few yrs ago or so. the wires looked great and thicker,but didnt work at all,I suspect it was bad wire or bad connections at the coil causing issues,the covering he uses looks cool but holds even more salt water around the wire and just made it worse. In the end its your $ If aftermarket and OEM ever cost even close to the same go oem and you wont regret it

My OEM coil lasted 3 seasons, then I died on me replaced It with a JSS coil at the start of last season, runs great so far....Whats the expected life of an OEM coil?

chriselmore_1

high on resin
just replace the oem wire with some taylor tinned copper 8.5mm wire. Problem solved. The oem yami wire is garbage. Has like 7 strands where the taylor has like 28 fine strands

Top Bottom