Just bought a 2014 SJ.

Getting an intake grate will help with the porpoising. And yes a heavier pole spring makes things better on the back!

Awesome! Glad you are in Tidewater! Hopefully you can get connected with the junkie crew for some surf riding!

khaos

Party in a can!
Site Supporter
So, lessons learned. After riding 550s for years. Then only having seadoo 3Ds for the past 7 or 8 years has made me fat and lazy. OMG. I have started a cardio regiment in a big way. I seem to have the strength but not the endurance. Not even close!! I went out with the Wavejunkies this weekend and after helping to cart 4 skiis from the lot to the water I was beat. To my shame the cart was a 4 wheeler, no continuous lifting. Then I got into the surf and after maybe 10 lousy minutes I felt like I had run a marathon. I had to beach it and was basically a spectator. :mad: The WaveJunkies were very kind to the sucking chest wound that was my ego. I will get better and my tray time will continue to increase. This will not stand! This couch condition will be overcome!

khaos

Party in a can!
Site Supporter
I have put some real tray time in over the week. My stand-up muscle memory is coming back little by little. I have been working out on and off the ski and eating a lot smarter. Down 7.7 pounds since that first surf day. Also, riding about 2-3 hours a shot now. Not in the surf but lots of wakes, bunny hops, slow wheelies, fast spinning wheelies, and especially turns. I don't wipe out much at all but I am often on the edge of control. My turns are often wider than I would like. But its coming back and I am not physically destroyed after a session. Tomorrow i am going out in the surf. It has been really laid down so its not that big a deal but I want to get out there and hit a wave or two.

I ride goofy surf style most of the time. I was doing great today and thought I wonder if I can ride regular as good. :eek: So, no. No I cannot. My foot slipped off the back and I am pretty sure I slightly strained my hamstring. Its hours later and it still hurts. Goofy it is. Its how I skated. Its how I snowboard. Why mess wit dat? :p I am getting better for myself mostly. Also, I don't want to be a danger to anyone I ride with either by not being able to avoid a situation or worse getting in trouble in the water and then they have unnecessary risk dealing with me. So I am working on it pretty seriously. :D

dont forget to reinforce hull and pole mounting area if you plan on riding the surf. also hood strap and limiter. if it lands on its side from a decent height the hull might crack. happened to my buddies 14

khaos

Party in a can!
Site Supporter
I did go ride the oceanfront today. It was just bumpy. No real surf at all. However, I learned that the OEM ride plate drives the nose down pretty hard. Even standing back a bit in the tray there was spray and drag over the nose way too often. I was going to wait but now I think I need a ride plate for surf or I have to 'D' cut the factory one.

After leaving the ocean i went to the river and I rode there for a few hours. I did not notice the chine walk very much. Either I have gotten used to it or I am shifting weight back and forth enough to minimize it. I have noticed that the pump looses hookup more than I would like. If only I had unlimited $$. :rolleyes:

i just put a lowered hood on my 13 sj. it looks so damn good. once i get the oem decals on the hood it will look a million buck!

my 13 sj mods in order. Bars, 07 steering cable, bildge, limiting rope, flame arrestors (zero gains), foot holds/turf, Ada head, and now jk lowered hood/bracket,

i still ride with the stock grate and ride plate and love it. heres my riding

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I did go ride the oceanfront today. It was just bumpy. No real surf at all. However, I learned that the OEM ride plate drives the nose down pretty hard. Even standing back a bit in the tray there was spray and drag over the nose way too often. I was going to wait but now I think I need a ride plate for surf or I have to 'D' cut the factory one.

After leaving the ocean i went to the river and I rode there for a few hours. I did not notice the chine walk very much. Either I have gotten used to it or I am shifting weight back and forth enough to minimize it. I have noticed that the pump looses hookup more than I would like. If only I had unlimited $$. :rolleyes:

You can also shorten the the stock plate to bring the nose up.

khaos

Party in a can!
Site Supporter
Nice. That is how mine rides. I think the nose is pushed down a little too much for me. I would rather use my weight to nose down that last little bit.

khaos

Party in a can!
Site Supporter
ive been tempted to try the d cut. i like the way my ski rails corners and i dont wanna sacrafice that i ride 50/50 corners and freestyle stuff

This. I have wondered about some short skegs to get the best of both worlds. This way if you weight back you can carve if you weight fwd you can sling... Also some rear >15% edge chine could do. I may test some of this out.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
@JetManiac would you suggest straight across over the D cut? If so, do you think 1/4" at a time is too little?

Remember you can always cut more but cant easily add back. So I would cut some first, you can cut more later and then add dcut later as well. Jigsaw with something to cool blade to avoid clog works well.

Top Bottom