Just bought a new bike. need some tips.

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
I just bought a used trek 7.2. I grabbed it because I think it was a pretty good deal. My wife wants to start biking. It is a year and half old but its barely been used. It has been sitting for over a year though and its really really dusty. what kind of maintenance should I do before I really start using it? We paid 250 for it. I bet it has less than 100 miles on it.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I dont have time to look and see what bike that is. Thinking it is a road bike.

IF it is only 1.5 years old, other than lubing the chain, there really should not be much to do if it is in good shape. May need to adjust the derailers. IF you do not know how to do this, take it to your local shop and have them go through it.
Bearings do not go out that often. My Full Suspension MTB is 9 years old. No bearings have had to be replaced.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I bet you could get a lot of help if you went to the trek website or even to a bike forum. Might even try calling a reputable bike shop & talking to someone in person.

totally disagree.

This is the best forum in the world, everything should be posted here first. All other resources are secondary.

Patentcad

Well ain't that cute?
Oh oh! Pick me! Whenever I'm not at school, Im riding one of my Roadies, or fixing something (like a ski)! You could start by dissasembling the headset, and greasing all the bearings. Then, slip the chain off your crank, and spin it. If it sounds like theres dirt in there, you might have to clean out your bb. Then, you can adjust your seat for comfort, and your handlebars. Then adjust the rear, and front derailuers top and low ends. Then just grease some points on your bike, and youre good to go!

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
I have gone through the chain and other misc stuff and cleaned and oiled everything. I have been riding to work for the past week. I really like this bike.

Top Bottom