650/X-2 Just got a ski that has been sitting 10 years 89 Kawa SX 650 New to Forum + Stand up

Well I have been wanting a Stand Up ski for some time. Well Was looking on Craigslist and Found a 1989 Kawasaki SX 650 for $250 uld with clean title but no trailer. So Went to look and got the ski for $200.

Here is some back ground on it. I got it from the orginal owner so Im the 2nd owner. The engine is Stock and I was told it was not been rebuilt. It does have a SS prop on and a aftermarket ride plate on it. Now here the part that sucks is that it has been sitting for 10 years but it does turn over and seems to have good compersion but I need to check it. It does need a new battery and needs to have the fuel tank and carb cleaned. The PO did remove the oil injection but left the part on the crankcase, SO I need a block off plate. Is there a Lanyard for the ski to Kill it if I fall off?

Add some pictures from the PO Will take some tomorrow. Let me know if there thing you all want to see.

What are some other things that I should replace or look at. I dont know much about the stand up skis. Im new to them.

Attachments

• ski.jpg
    ski.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 160
  • ski1.jpg
    ski1.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 159
  • ski2.jpg
    ski2.jpg
    941 bytes · Views: 157
thats a pretty good find if you can get it to run. I see people putting clean running 650sx's for a little over a grand lately on craigslist here in Jersey, not sure if they are getting that price or not but thats what they post it for. You can get a lanyard start/stop switch for it. It is designed to slowly circle around if you fall off. I hear alot of people turn the idle down so if you fall it just cuts off. Now that the oil injection is gone make sure to mix your fuel 40:1.

If I bought the ski I would personally drain any old fuel, check fuel lines for dry rot or cracks, get new spark plugs and be prepared to do a good carb cleaning or rebuild. I like to drip some two stroke oil down the cylinders when you have an engine that hasnt been started for a while, before testing compression or cranking over alot, just so its not dry in there. when you get it to run, run it off a hose if its got a connection for that, make sure your circulating water and its coming out of the little pisser on the side(im pretty sure 650 sx's have a pisser, I know mine does.) when you put it in the water also keep a close eye on the pisser to make sure your not over heating.

Heres a link if you want a lanyard start stop switch. price isnt bad, or you could look for a used one in the classifieds here.
http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/Start_Stop_Switch_Assembly.htm

Last edited:
Well did a comp check on it today. It has 120 psi. Also check for spark and it has that. So now I just have to clean the carb and gas tank and she should be almost ready to go. Got to look at the choke it is frozen.

Hmm I cant seem to find the PM....

Seem I can not send them...... :[ I do not see under username or even in the setting

Last edited:
Well I clean the fuel tank. well look at the carb. It was clean on the inside no dirt.... I pulled the jets and they were clean. Now the odd thing is that I can get ski to run about a 1 min then it seem like you turn offed the gas... Then she will not restart... If I pull the air vent tube off and then put my screw driver in the hose she will restart. There is like a little round plastic thing. I want to say it a one way valve so Im thinking that is shot.. Also I had my one engine mount break too..... so Things I need to Fix :] If you all have any idea on why she is dieing like it is let me know. Thanks :]

Top Bottom