Just got me a 09 SJ

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
wrong side- exhaust side is beefy, intake side is weak. front, rear and intake side is where it will crack. thus the half girdle or full girdle set ups.

Yeah but it's the position of an after market exhaust vibrating to the side of the motor rather than on the top which causes the cylinder to crack. Ever notice how skis with a pipe tend to vibrate a lot more and also break motor mounts much sooner?

tom21

havin fun
no- mine held up fine for years. weak mounts and poor alignment might contribute. a b pipe compared to stock exhaust? ever hold a stock chamber? focking weighs a ton!

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
the stock exhaust is mounted a lot more securely than any a/m pipe. I agree aftermarket exhaust tends to make a motor vibrate more.

I think it's crazy to think bumping up the compression 35 psi will put enough pressure on the head to pull apart the side of a cylinder wall.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
WOW! This thing is sick. The superjet murders my sxr hands down, I'm loving this thing so far, totally gnarly ski. I'm thinking my ultra 250 is going to have a for sale sign on it real soon and then taking the funds to trick out the new sj

Do a nozzle quick steer mod and you will love it even more. It takes all of 10 minutes and it completely changes the ski for the better. Coming back to hit a setup wake all you do is crank the bars and grab throttle and you carve a 180 way faster than you could ever slide around on the old sj.

WaveDemon

Do a nozzle quick steer mod and you will love it even more. It takes all of 10 minutes and it completely changes the ski for the better. Coming back to hit a setup wake all you do is crank the bars and grab throttle and you carve a 180 way faster than you could ever slide around on the old sj.

even better than that is to put a pre-08 pole/steering on it.

dave787

Couches are boring
08+ have higher compression too.

I've never seen this published anywhere. Hope it's true and my compression checker is off. It says I have 153psi in both on my 08. On the yamaha website it says the 08 and 09 SJ's are still the same ole 7.2:1 compression that all the RN's have always had. I'll have to check it with someone elses checker if I have the chance..

WaveDemon

that's weird. I tested one over at tom21's shop with a known good guage. it read higher.
Also, the head gaskets have different part numbers.
2007: 62T-11181-00-00
2008: 62T-11181-01-00

Gunter83

Trainwreck
it's funny all my friends think my 97 hull is easier to ride than my 08. All i've done to the 08 is add diff filters + a bpipe. def do the quicksteer tho, and blowsion has a heavy duty pre 08 steering cable that's nice. although u cant use the stock 08+ pole :(

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
The first Superjet I ever rode was an '08 too. When I ride a pre 2008 model I go into retard mode, the handling is SO different between the two hulls. I wish it still smelled like "new" when I opened the hood though.

SkiNaked

Stand up or Shut up!
Yes. But not as bad as the 08+. Both skis will gain greatly from an aftermarket steering unit. Blowsion has a brand new super sanno setup coming out, the RRP Steering setups and UMI both also will improve steering greatly over the stock system.

Top Bottom