SX/SXi/SXi Pro kawasaki 650 sx..problem

Hey guys, i just purchased a 1990 650 from some guy that didnt know what he was doing. I brought her home and yanked the 650 motor out. I checked compression before i took the motor off and i got 160, 155. I think my base gasket might be broken, i was looking around the base and i saw some oil around it, so i looked closer and i found two holes where i can see through ( base gasket missing) this guy told me that he was messing with the carb, and it backfired on him. Anyways.. i took the head off, pistons look good. But what can i do about the base gasket? change it? how would i take it off? i took the 8 bolts off, but i cant get the base off...

the pic is where there are the two holes in the motor

Attachments

• P2040131.jpg
    P2040131.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 51
  • P2040126.jpg
    P2040126.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P2040128.jpg
    P2040128.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

ger87410

How did I get here?
The cylinders should come off. Try tapping the cylinders to release them. Maybe apply heat?

U need a gasket there, I think. I bet it's failing a leak-down test.

EDIT: clean the carbon off those poor pistons. :smile:

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Those cylinders can be a royal pain to get off,corrosion builds up around the case studs and locks the cylinder to the cases. First try soaking the studs down with penetrating oil for a few days,then you will more than likely have to wail on the cylinder in a couple of places with a block of wood and a very big hammer to get it to release off the studs.

Last edited:

extreemthrottle

freeride junkie
Those cylinders can be a royal pain to get off,corrosion builds up around the case studs and locks the cylinder to the cases. First try soaking the studs down with penetrating oil for a few days,then you will more than likely have to wail on the cylinder in a couple of places with a block of wood and a very big hammer to get it to release off the studs.

yep, what he said. and apply alot of heat and alot of pb blaster at the studs..

once i do that, would i put a piece of wood against the cylinder and hit it in different spots with a hammer to dislodge it? thanks for all the help guys! How would be the best way to apply heat?

Last edited:
well i also tried the rope trick, putting about 2 ft down into the cylinder, and turning the flywheel. It did not work for me. I guess im going to continue trying to hit the side of it, and apply heat with a heat gun. im just stuck...

WFO Speedracer

You are going to need more heat than that,I would use a propane torch,and patience,you need to squirt those studs down and let it soak in ,I would say for several days minimum, you try to rush this too much and you will be looking for a new cylinder.

Wfo- I will take your advice. Im going to cotinue applying pb blaster and let it sit. I have a propane tourch that I can play with ;). Also, I took off my pump and found a nice scat track impeller but it will barely turn inside the housing. I tried turning it but it seems to be kinda stuck in some spots. I also put pb blaster on that. I'll just let it soak for a bit also. I don't think this guy took care of this ski.

Plus I don't think this guy knew what he was selling, because the 650 came with a westcoast waterbox and exhaust, and ocean pro rideplate and thurster intage grate.

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

If it is salt watered the pump is probably trashed, salt water corrosion builds up between the aluminum pump housing and the stainless steel pump liner,this buckles the liner and causes to impeller to stick in places.I would just look for another housing you can usually pick up a good 650 pump cheap.

as much as i tried with this engine, i cant seem to get the damn thing apart. So im going to take the entire engine to a machinist and see if he can open it for me. I tried the heat gun the flame torch and i have had no movement whatsoever. I soaked it in pb blaster. and it didnt help.

Usually when a kawi motor gets that much corrosion built up around the case studs no amount of heat or penetrating oil will free it up. What I have done in the past is attach a steel plate to the bottom of the crankcase and another to the top of the cylinder. The plates should extend past the front and rear of the motor about 6 to 8 inches. Then put a bottle jack between the plates at each end and start jacking . The cylinder should come off undamaged. p o c.

Top Bottom