Kawasaki 650sx 61.3 mph. Noob can't ride

GPS'ed my full race Kawasaki 650sx yesterday and came in at 60.1 one way and coming back 61.3. Here is the problem. I can't ride it standing up over 45mph. I have to kneel put my body over the pole to go wide-open. Every time I try it standing up I take a nasty spill. Any ideas to make this ski more stable or suggestions on riding technique.

I'm 218 pounds and can ride my stock 650sx like a mad man so I do have a small amount of skill. Any help?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Ride more.

I've ridden for over three years now, and I still find anything over 45mph to be a challenge.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
You have one foot forward, right? Some people try to ride both feet in the back of the tray and it just doesn't work for high speeds.

Scoot back or forward from where you are to either lift or lower the nose for better tracking. Most of the time I have to scoot back for high speed runs.

SXRguyinMA

Life's a beach
I could go wide open tapped on a smooth lake on my SXR with one foot front and other back, it feels like your on ice though, will slide a little, takes some getting used to

You have one foot forward, right? Some people try to ride both feet in the back of the tray and it just doesn't work for high speeds.

Scoot back or forward from where you are to either lift or lower the nose for better tracking. Most of the time I have to scoot back for high speed runs.
Left foot forward low stance with pole 2-3" off hood. If I scoot back it goes hopping and throws me off. Also the ski starts to slide around on the back over 50 which throws my weight to one side and normally I get ejected. More ride time will help but I'm wondering if I have a hull or ride plate issue? Can non professionals ride stand-up at 60+ or does that take years to learn.

Last edited:

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
just keep riding. You will learn how to anticipate when you are about to lose it and make small adjustments to steering and throttle to keep from getting thrown. just keep riding and dont be affraid to get tossed.

EvanB85

Team Poseur
60+ on a 650SX??? Dayum. That's kinda fast.

On my ski, with a d-cut rideplate, high speed runs are pretty squirrelly (sp?) Granted I'm probably hitting 40 or so on a good day, but I find that keeping the ski on edge helps with stability. I hold a couple of degrees of steering. Trying to stay in a perfectly straight line will make it start chine walking, un-hooking the pump, etc. That's my $.02

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Kawi's like small body position changes to keep them tracking straight where Yamahas like small steering inputs. It will probably just take time/experience.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
60+ on a 650SX??? Dayum. That's kinda fast.

On my ski, with a d-cut rideplate, high speed runs are pretty squirrelly (sp?) Granted I'm probably hitting 40 or so on a good day, but I find that keeping the ski on edge helps with stability. I hold a couple of degrees of steering. Trying to stay in a perfectly straight line will make it start chine walking, un-hooking the pump, etc. That's my $.02

For sure. I'd rather go skydiving than go 60 on a 650SX.

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Ok.... everyone is thinking it, but I am going to come on out and say it..... 60+ on a 650sx? I'd need a video and a gps picture to belive that, sorry. haha

and also... you would never catch me kneeling on a standup at 60 mph. One little mistake and you are f'd. Try and stay on your feet.

I can only ride on the knees in total flat water. I want to be able to ride standing up so I can take some chop and slow down for the big stuff. I'm going to need to ride, ride & ride some more to get the hang of this....

Ok.... everyone is thinking it, but I am going to come on out and say it..... 60+ on a 650sx? I'd need a video and a gps picture to belive that, sorry. haha

I'm pretty sure my GPS is good but I'm curious too and not claiming I have the fastest ski know to man. Anyone with a GPS willing to meet me at 10 cent toll by Tera Verda this weekend and help me out? I'll let you ride the ski with my and your GPS and video it. I honestly thought the GPS was wrong but got two runs with similar numbers. Also I have run many skis before and never gone so fast on a stand-up. It's wierd but if you see the ski you will see nothing but the best of everything. It is a honest Ex-sponsored ski with one race on the motor...

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
It's just this. Even high 40's is hairy on a 650sx, and you are saying you can go 60+. I would have doubts about JJ's 650 going that fast and his was worked 110%. What mods do you have, and we could pretty much tell you if it will go 60 or not. I don't know for sure, but 60 just sounds like too much on a 650sx. As usual, I could be wrong, but for me it's certainly unheard of by my ears for that ski.

It's just this. Even high 40's is hairy on a 650sx, and you are saying you can go 60+. I would have doubts about JJ's 650 going that fast and his was worked 110%. What mods do you have, and we could pretty much tell you if it will go 60 or not. I don't know for sure, but 60 just sounds like too much on a 650sx. As usual, I could be wrong, but for me it's certainly unheard of by my ears for that ski.

Attached Picutre....Don't know much about mods I didn't build the ski. I'm a noob to this stuff. Traded two skis for this one and put about $1,000 in it. Here is what I know:
PJS race head 220 pounds on VP110, BPM cylinder told sleeves had extra ports, pistons unknown, Dual 38's (check picutre might be wrong), Skat pump and skat impeller (nice), westcoast nosel, west coast pipe, west coast water box, pjs exhaust manifold off cylinder, MSD Total Loss. Ocean Pro ride plate, aftermarket pole ?? 0 degree bar, quick turn. UMI stuff, ETC.

Attachments

• Kawa Race Ski 095.jpg
    Kawa Race Ski 095.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,155
Last edited:

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
If that's one of my old race engines...you bet it'll be fast. Looks like the one I helped build for Emmett Hood for the Busch Cup days here in Florida, between his dad and I we really had some exciting engines combinations that were pretty scary to ride. I don't think we machined the finger ports in the 650 cylinders, but did slot the boost port and machined boost windows in the piston skirts, this is what he's talking about...
The XIR Kawasaki that we built for Emmett to race in 785 pro, was a +2mm stroker w/ MRD fuel injection. What a job to learn that fuel injection, when we did get it right, I laughed at carbs for a while in 785cc runabout racing!

crammit442

makin' legs
If that's one of my old race engines...you bet it'll be fast. Looks like the one I helped build for Emmett Hood for the Busch Cup days here in Florida, between his dad and I we really had some exciting engines combinations that were pretty scary to ride. I don't think we machined the finger ports in the 650 cylinders, but did slot the boost port and machined boost windows in the piston skirts, this is what he's talking about...
The XIR Kawasaki that we built for Emmett to race in 785 pro, was a +2mm stroker w/ MRD fuel injection. What a job to learn that fuel injection, when we did get it right, I laughed at carbs for a while in 785cc runabout racing!

That's because you're the MAN!!!!!!!!:notworthy:

Top Bottom