Kawasaki 800 SX-R Problems!!!

Did you rejet correctly?

I was given the OK by the installer that everything was installed and programmed perfectly... So I guess yes... He also tuned the SXR a bit on the rich side for the first few runs and told me that I would see him the very next day on the water where I usually go in order for him to perfectly tune it.

tom21

havin fun
the point you are missing is your builder should know what the squish is and compression and have all the math worked out. you seem to be under the impression just because someone has the same setup that their ski is identical. maybe they are maybe they aren't. maybe some has different domes or machining done to said domes, maybe a diff base gasket was installed to change squish and compression, maybe porting was done. you don't know and understand all the workings of these parts and how they can have a huge effect for such a seemingly small change. sounds like your builder doesn't either.

I seriously doubt the engine was defective. sounds like excuses and backpeddling by an inept mechanic.

look at the piston. thas deto. how did that get there? when you understand that you will understand what everyone is trying to tell you.

And I feel terrible for you to have a new sxr be mangled in this manner. it sucks bro. see if you can get your money back or some of it and take it to a respected shop after of course you get a thorough understanding of the work you need done so you can ask questions of your new builder to make sure he knows what he is doing.:crutches:

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
I was given the OK by the installer that everything was installed and programmed perfectly... So I guess yes... He also tuned the SXR a bit on the rich side for the first few runs and told me that I would see him the very next day on the water where I usually go in order for him to perfectly tune it.
If he didn't jet up, that wetpipe probably caused a lean condition for sure. Sounds like a combination of things added up to KABOOM!

the point you are missing is your builder should know what the squish is and compression and have all the math worked out. you seem to be under the impression just because someone has the same setup that their ski is identical. maybe they are maybe they aren't. maybe some has different domes or machining done to said domes, maybe a diff base gasket was installed to change squish and compression, maybe porting was done. you don't know and understand all the workings of these parts and how they can have a huge effect for such a seemingly small change. sounds like your builder doesn't either.

I seriously doubt the engine was defective. sounds like excuses and backpeddling by an inept mechanic.

look at the piston. thas deto. how did that get there? when you understand that you will understand what everyone is trying to tell you.

And I feel terrible for you to have a new sxr be mangled in this manner. it sucks bro. see if you can get your money back or some of it and take it to a respected shop after of course you get a thorough understanding of the work you need done so you can ask questions of your new builder to make sure he knows what he is doing.:crutches:
Thanks for giving it straight-up... I did all what the installer wanted me to do, all I really need to know is whether it is truly a defect :) i guess I got one confirmation with your answer

I also want to honestly add that I am less than an amateur when it comes to understanding what goes into the engines of PWC's so thats why I had to post on online forums in order to get more professional views to give me a definite answer and not being just told its a defect and believing it at first-glance.

Last edited:
If he didn't jet up, that wetpipe probably caused a lean condition for sure. Sounds like a combination of things added up to KABOOM!

Another check against the defect excuse. I'm just hoping I could get a definite answer from the installer himself now :frown:

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
It was Deto for sure. (something else could be wrong too, though)

Either an air leak (carbs not on tight?).
Too much compression. (Anything over 185).
Wrong jets in the carbs. (Did he even change the jets in the carbs?)

It was Deto for sure. (something else could be wrong too, though)

Either an air leak (carbs not on tight?).
Too much compression. (Anything over 185).
Wrong jets in the carbs. (Did he even change the jets in the carbs?)

DJKORN1 if you don't mind me asking... what head and domes do you use on your SXR?

cycojon

addicted to my superjet

so did this installer show up the next day on the water? is he the one that told you its a kawi defect?

so did this installer show up the next day on the water? is he the one that told you its a kawi defect?
No, there wasn't a next day.. I took it directly back to him.. Yes, he did say it was a defect but he has been a great help in all matters before and after the incident.

Thank you all for your help.. turns out that the most likely case was that the circlip was loose and ended up destroying the engine... Thank you all again for you comments and help on this matter :)

Too much compression, and not enough oil is your first problem. Nothing less then 40:1 or you are asking for trouble..... You were running 50% less oil then you should have been! And On more compression then you can safely run per 98 Octane fuel (as it sounds).

High compression SXR 800's are ticking time bombs anyways.... I would go for domes that you can run pump gas, and not have to worry about rebuilds as often.

You need to have someone take apart the carbs and check the jetting. If you shop did all that work, and did not properly jet it, that is a big problem.

If It wanted to Rev out of control while starting on land, it had air leak.

Sorry for your expensive lesson learned.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
BS flag times two. If you don't change that set up your gonna blow another one in one day. Lower your compression big time.

I run 30cc and 165 compression.

SXRguyinMA

Life's a beach
BS flag times two. If you don't change that set up your gonna blow another one in one day. Lower your compression big time.

I run 30cc and 165 compression.

my stock motor gave a 185psi reading on each cylinder, that was after the motor was warmed as well, and with a mac tools gauge, why are the a/m head running so low?

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Every gauge is different so be careful! I used three gauges and one that we knew to be pretty close. Stock I was up to 30 psi different.

To wrap up, I am taking all your advices and am ignoring the installer on this one (he says the current set-up is fine) and am going to change the domes (possibly to 28cc or even better 29cc) in order for a 180-185lbs (not the current 26cc 208lbs). That way I could run on the 98octane easily... Again I greatly appreciate everyones help on this matter :)

Top Bottom