Kawi 1100 B1 Build (pic heavy)

Been wanting to build a triple blaster for a little over a year now and constantly searching for the right deal on a donor ski. At the last race of the year, I rode my friends kawi 1100 b1 and thats all it took for me to know I needed one! Finally bought a pair of STX 1100's with one running and pretty clean and the other needing a top end rebuild that I will use for parts.

Will pretty much be an open spec ski with a dry pipe, timing plate + jumper, mikuni 44's and planning to get a billet head with 150-160-psi. I've got alot done but I still need to paint the top deck, install gas tank, secure rear battery box and get a few other misc parts for it. Here's some pics from when I first brought it home to current condition. Hoping to ride it very soon!

Way back when I first brought it home and hadn't ridden it yet

Put some time on it as a 701 before buying another 701 Blaster and building that as a spec ski

Pretty nasty!

Stripping it all down

Washed out the dirt and grime with simple green

Defoamed the rear... that sucked!

Sanded a little bit by hand before realizing I would need an orbital sander to save some time. The hull had been painted blue and then spray painted black by the previous owner so I had alot of sanding to do.

Bottom had some rough spots that I filled with 3m marine filler

More sanding

First coat of primer on hood

First coat of Interlux Prekote primer on hull

First coat of Interlux brightside one stage paint on hull

One coat

I still need to paint the top deck. Hoping to get that done before the weekend when I test ride

Good tips on the forum for drying out the kawi pipe. Got all the fittings in. Was alot less complicated than I originally thought

Test fitting the used raddudes bedplate I got with the spare bottom end I have.

Pulling donor engine

Cleaned up well

Installed the Kommander blockoff

Got the exhaust mani drilled, tapped and fittings installed

A few goodies from Blowsion

2 coats of Interlux bilgekote with a paintbrush. Really like how it turned out.... must be self leveling because it is very slick in there

Decided to paint engine & exhaust black with some high heat engine paint

Had some stainless piping left over from building some turbo piping on my big ski so I made my own waterbox to save some $. Ordered a 60* silicone coupler instead of a 45* so I can have a little more upward angle on my piping to prevent water from backflooding into the waterbox. Will be paired up with a 3" thru hull from Extreem Throttle.

RHAAS carb adapter plate to fit Mikuni 44's with port matched intake manifold

A shot of the waterbox inside the ski before trimming the ends to fit

Got alot of work done this past Saturday. Mounted a new midshaft from Jetmaniac, installed/aligned/shimmed engine, installed exhaust & cooling lines, put on some MSD terminals, rebuilt & mounted carbs, set throttle cable mount & throttle wheel

Shortened & deleted a bunch of wires and put on some fancy e-box blockoffs..... cost about 15cents :)

Thank you Chris at Jetmaniac for getting the midshaft housing out to me so quick. He even installed and greased bearings as a courtesy.... something I didn't even ask for. That goes a long way in my book!

Exhaust piping all routed, just waiting on that thru hull!

Took the oem battery box off of the STX donor ski and I will be mounting a new AGM battery from advanced auto parts in there. BTW, if anyone needs a new battery, "TRT30" will get you 30% off online orders at Advanced Auto Parts.

Hooked up the fuel line last night

Thanks Bill!

Since I hooked up the fuel lines, I figured I'd fire it up and let it suck some fuel through the lines. Thru hull gets delivered Friday so the exhaust Is just dumping into the rear of the ski for now. I also had coated the sleeves and rod bearings with some oil so it's a little smoky but sounds pretty sweet. Sanded the top deck today and will be working on paint tomorrow and Thursday. Impeller & thru hull come in Friday so hoping for a watertest this weekend

Got the top deck cleaned up, wetsanded and primed this afternoon. I didn't like the way the hood came out the first time so I sanded it back down and started over. This time, I got a friend with a paint booth and professional paint guns to do the spraying. This is after two coats of primer. He also talked me into going with a two stage paint for the top deck so it will have more shine to it. Should be able to sand then put on some coats of black tomorrow.

Ran about 8 gallons through it between Saturday and Sunday before it had a rod fail and part of it blew a hole through the bottom of the cases. Showed 57mph on my phone GPS which reads 3mph slower than a Garmin handheld so anywhere between 57-60mph which I thought was good for the first outing. This thing ripped and sounded awesome. Video doesn't do it justice. I already have another spare crank and engine cases but will probably wait until mid October to mess with it.

Haven't been on here much but figured I'd give an update. Most of the ski has been painted for a while but had to repaint the hood and I just picked it up from my friends paint booth yesterday. Sent my seat to Jet Trim to have the seat shaved and covered and had them make some traction mats for it too. Super happy with the work from Jet Trim. Pieced everything together to see how it looked and it is exactly what I wanted. Can't wait to see the IPD Graphics on it for the final touch. The triple kawi cylinders were bored by JetManiac and I still need to send in my crank to him for that to be exchanged before reassembling the engine. Anyways, here's some pics of where it stands for now. Come a long ways from when I brought it home!

Top Bottom