Custom/Hybrid Kawi Reeds... Cool

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
Throwing together a motor from spare parts today... Was swapping over some spare fiber reeds I had to replace the metal reeds... Then I saw a set of 750 reeds... figured why not. They do have larger volume, and better intake angle.

Cut off the excess flange and it fit right in. Why doesn't everyone do this? (other than going to Vforce 2's obviously...)

Unfortunately the motor is only making around 110 psi with old rings, so I might not be able to get to see how they feel just yet...

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
Not only do they have larger surface area, its at a better angle. So

A) The angle allows for longer reeds resulting in overall more surface area
B) The less steep angle allows for a less severe open angle, over all more volume escaping
C) Less turbulent pathway past the reed opening..

To me this is just a blatant obvious mod to do for free/cheap as opposed to purchasing $300 v force 2's. Perhaps a second best. Also, after my aggressive case porting it will take up some more crankcase volume.

Yeah some pics would be nice. What exactly needs changed to work?

I'm guessing trim off the top and bottom holes/tabs and then grind a little material off the sides.

Last edited:

motoman96

Banned
that was a modification some old builders used to do. They do have a larger reed petal area for more flow.

They'd actually cut an weld 750 intake tracts to 61x cases before the 62t came out. I had a set of cases like this. Never ran em, but it was fairly common back in the day. Idk about hacking some reeds with a dremel an some scissors after boozing it up, but hey, keep us posted.lol

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
SmokinFx1. You got it. Just keep trimming. Try to leave as much possible for gasket surface.

And That post was a few hours after I was working. heh. Trying to get this motor ready for to throw in the car in about an hour to head up for the first race of the year.

Also... This will probably only work well if you have ported cases. Just saying...

Also... I dont waste my time with a dremel. Angle grinder only sir. :baby:

Last edited:

Sospikey

Trying to get upside down
I am pretty sure that X-Scream use this metod to mod the R&D intake for the SBN 46. A cheaper alternative than Boyesen...

Attachments

• TS INTAKE SET-UP1.jpg
    TS INTAKE SET-UP1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 50
  • TS INTAKE SET-UP.jpg
    TS INTAKE SET-UP.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
Well. Bam. So there you go. Guess I accidently figured it out on my own.

Got new rings from JetManiac.... picking up helicoils now. Throwing the ski in the back of the truck in approximately 2 hours and heading off to panama for the race.

What a slap ass job this will be. hahaha.

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
Back together for the first time in 2 years. So much dust on all the exhaust parts and grime in the engine bay.

I slapped this motor together from a corroded out xl700, which had been sitting in someones yard for 5 years, with the engine apart and exposed.

Luckily the motor interior was mostly new... surprisingly.. Little sandblasting and a lot of porting later...

Started up on the first crank. Never had that happen with OEM 44's. Haha. Glad to be back with 38s.

0516021707.jpg

0516021651.jpg

Top Bottom