Kawi throttle cable on a SJ...not without a throttle drum

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
:17:

Get a kawi cable everybody says. It works great on a superjet. It's longer and all you have to do is hog out the manifold throttle holder to fit the thicker housing.

Well I did it. I drilled out my new Boyesen manifold to fit the dang thing and guess what? It will not work.

I have adjusted both ends as far as they will go and I still have too much cable slack on the throttle. A lot too much.

I have a hot products angled throttle and screwed it in as least as possible.

Is there some peice that will let me extend it out further on the throttle? A kawi adapter?

If I drilled my $$$$ manifold for nothing I'm gonna be pissed.

Last edited:

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Some finger throttle's aren't made to spec, and don't provide the correct throw. What finger throttle are you using? I am going to go ahead and guess an _-_____. You either have to choose being able to get wide open, or getting wide open and then not being able to get anything close to idling.

Did you order the "93 750sx" cable like I suggested that I KNOW works perfectly?

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Matter of fact, right now I am running a stock SXR finger throttle (Which I am in love with) with a stock squarenose cable and it works perfectly. It idles and also goes 100% WOT. I have a Kawi cable to replace it with (It's on it's way out... couple cuts and some heavy wear to the sheathing). A buddy of mine has the kawi cables on his ski's and they arew right as well. They also are using KVPI throttle with the correct throw on them, and they work the same as well as having the same measurements as the stock Yamaha and stock Kawi.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I did order the 750 sx cable, from JSS who had them in stock. Angled UMI or equivalent throttle. Bought it from Nikad years ago.

I'm not gonna choose. It will work right for WOT and idling or I won't use it.

Aftermarket mikuni 44's. Stock wheel? Where do I get a non-stock wheel and why would I want it? Other than because the stock one will not work for a kawi cable.

Last edited:

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Yes, I did order the 750 sx cable, from JSS who had them in stock. Angled UMI or equivalent throttle. Bought it from Nikad years ago.

I'm not gonna choose. It will work right for WOT and idling or I won't use it.

Aftermarket mikuni 44's. Stock wheel? Where do I get a non-stock wheel and why would I want it? Other than because the stock one will not work for a kawi cable.

I didn't say you should compromise between idle and wide open... obviously you need both. And the UMI's are fine. You must have something funky somewhere.

The aftermarket wheel gives you the bling factor, and options for cable adjustment.

ADA sells them for 12.99. I am running one now, and it's tits. It actually screws onto the throttle shaft too, so you don't have to worry about getting the brass nut tight enough to stay and not strip out. You just thread it onto the shaft, and then use the brass nut as a jam nut if you want.

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
why would you order a kawi cable to begin with? You're running all yami gear, and the yami cable works with that gear ( atleast on all my stuff)? i dont get it.

The kawi cable is much beefier and longer than the yamaha cables. It's also 32 bucks versus about 80 or so for a squarenose cable.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I needed a longer cable because the throttle mount is on the far side of a Boyesen intake and the stock one is too short.

I just got off the phone with Wamilton and he said it won't work without the throttle drum.

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
i use an aftermarket wheel even with a yamaha cable. its just nice to have one more place to adjust the tension on the throttle cable. and fyi if you are going to buy one, get ADA's. its the cheapest. heres a link
http://www.adaracing.com/all/throttle-drum-mikuni-carburetor/cbdrum

lol good lord. as i typed that^ there was like 6 more replies in this thread. oh well. theres the info anyway

Last edited:
Top Bottom