650/X-2 Keep getting water in my motor...

I keep getting water inside the motor of my ski. Itll run fine until you shut the motor down and then it won't start back up. Pull the plugs and theres water in there. It's happened twice and once I was trying to teach a friend to ride it and it was rocking back and forth a lot. I firgured that might be why. It happened again after that on a normal ride. When I have it on land I pull the plugs out and crank it for a while to get the water out and it starts right back up. Has this happened to anyone else?

no doubt. Im always wrenching on it. This past season was a headache. stripped the whole ski to paint and clean up and had electrical problems. motor wouldnt rev out. Fixed that and this problem happened. Havent had a problem like this ever. My dad had it since 88 and passed it down to me. I have two other 650 motors if I have to switch but I was wondering if anyones heard of this problem and the cause of it.

whooiedog

AKA El Hefe
Yes, pull the exhaust manifold off and regasket it. I've had this happen to me. Buy new jug to manifold gaskets and put a light coat of coppercoat on them. Do the same for the manifold to head pipe gasket as well.

whooiedog

AKA El Hefe
I've also ran a Coffman pipe for awhile and noticed that it lets a little more water run back into the cylinders than any other pipe I've had. Put a flow control valve before the stinger and that will dry the pipe out a little bit more too and keep the amount down in the chamber.

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
If your teaching a friend to ride and they keep falling off to the left it'll flow a lot of water into the exhaust outlet.

My 86 was problematic until I ran through the entire thing and fixed everything the previous owner had jacked up.

If your teaching a friend to ride and they keep falling off to the left it'll flow a lot of water into the exhaust outlet.

My 86 was problematic until I ran through the entire thing and fixed everything the previous owner had jacked up.
Thats exactly what happened. I figured that was the problem the first time. Im looking forward to getting this one reliable so I can put some work into the 650 SX. Never rode a true stand up. Been riding the x2 since I was 8. Def wanna see the differences

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Does this happens when you ride or just friends? If it doesn't happen for you, then you probably do not need to replace the exhaust gaskets.

Unfortuneatly the x2 is very bad about ingesting water. It usually comes in through the intake, not the exhaust, but water through the intake doesn't usually wait until you shut it off. However, it can get into the crank and let the ski start until you shut it off and sit, because it can start easier with water in it when it is hot than when it is cold.

For an intake related water ingestion problem...
- spend some time sealing the engine compartment
- make sure all holes that wires go through are sealed; if not, add silicone
- make sure you stock siphon bilge is properly mounted so water doesn't roll back through it.
- check for leaks in the cooling system
- install a bilge. A single rule 500 is acceptible for the lake. Duel 500s for the surf.
- make sure you have a good hood seal.
- duck tape the hood (at least the back corners where the most comes in, but preferably everywhere) until your friend learns to ride better
- go back to the stock style airbox that protects the intake

For exhaust related problem...
- replace all of the gaskets touching the exhaust manifold (though this isnt the problem of this happens to only new riders)
- brap the ski a couple times on the way in to clear the water box some right before shutting it off.
- install a flow restrictor (like jetworks) that reduces or stops the water into the exhaust at idle
- dismount the ski to the left, so any water in the pipe rolls away from the motor rather the towards it.
- put your ski on a beach stand and rev the motor when you get in to clear the exhaust of water

Check your oil...
- get a glass cup with a lid (empty spagitti sauce jar works good) that you can throw away
- mix oil and water in the jar about 10:1
- shake vigorously.
The oil should bead up immediately (10 seconds) like cooking oil (if you are not sure what I mean, make a batch of cooking oil as a test sample, it should be almost that fast).
If it doesn't separate like cooking oil, change to a better oil.
I we running generic oils but they mixed with water, so I switched and my boat ran better.

Top Bottom