Let's Leafblower Turbo Something

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
Let's stick some crazy big jets on a superjet with a drypipe and leafblower-turbo it.

Is that genius I smell?

cosander

Dallas/Fort worth
my opinion of genius would be the guy who could use a wind powered turbine to centrifugally extract oil from an algae pond, thus harnessing solar/wind power to create fuel... but leaf blowers are cool too.

sorry for the rant, I just filled up the skis,ram,boat,bike,mustang,weed eater,lawnmower,lantern,rc car and now need a home equity loan to sustain that trend.

I have always wondered if a leaf-blower could work as a turbo/supercharger. I have no Idea how many PSI a leaf blower can create or if it has enough CFM for a decently thirsty engine, but it would be fun to find out.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I have always wondered if a leaf-blower could work as a turbo/supercharger. I have no Idea how many PSI a leaf blower can create or if it has enough CFM for a decently thirsty engine, but it would be fun to find out.

So would you tie the throttle into the throttle of what you were supercharging so that the two spun up at the same rate?

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
It wont work.

more electrical energy would be required to actually STUFF any forced charge than the engine would gain from that "stuffed" charge.

you cant get something for nothing when it comes to energy.

It wont work.

more electrical energy would be required to actually STUFF any forced charge than the engine would gain from that "stuffed" charge.

you cant get something for nothing when it comes to energy.

We all understand that you cannot get out more energy than put in, its a very commonly known law of physics.

But I digress, your interpretation of the law is very flawed. By your interpretation superchargers in general would not work, as they would take more mechanical force to produce a chanrge than the charge would improve compustion. As we all know superchargers do in-fact work every day. As for an electric one working, that would come down to the jet skis charging system efficiency and the efficiency of the leaf blower.

I think the OP was talking about a 2 stroke Leaf blower though.

spork

down with the sickness
I tried that on my 400ex quad a few years ago and it didn't turn out too well due to no bypass and since it had a carb I guess you have to equalize the bowl pressure with incoming pressure to work:crutches:

#ZERO

Beach Bum
Most 12 Volt blowers on put out 150 CFM or less and that's far less than your engine needs to run in the stock configuration.

These electric blowers work great for moving air but are NOT designed for the volume and pressure required to supercharge an engine.

Real superchargers flow 600 CFM or higher and are designed to do it at 5-15 lbs boost pressure.

Also sticking some crazy big jets with an electric blower motor would make your jet-ski perform worse than stock.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Most 12 Volt blowers on put out 150 CFM or less and that's far less than your engine needs to run in the stock configuration.

These electric blowers work great for moving air but are NOT designed for the volume and pressure required to supercharge an engine.

Real superchargers flow 600 CFM or higher and are designed to do it at 5-15 lbs boost pressure.

Also sticking some crazy big jets with an electric blower motor would make your jet-ski perform worse than stock.

Ok heres my idea lets seal the compartment completely and put positive pressure in it with pure oxygen,or an oxygen mixture,either it will run like a bat straight out of hell or blow all to hell because of an errant spark somewhere.:brap:

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
By my post above, I meatn electrical superchargers wouldnt work.
you would need a generator the size of a VW bug to make enough energy to electrically actually over come atmospheric pressure on a 701 engine intake.

superchargers... yeah, they bolt on the engine, and use the engines power to spin them, ever seen the belt on a 6/71 blower? I figure its rated for 80HP or so ( the belt)

im sure in the upper RPMS there is an advantage with the supercharger, but Id bet it taxes the bejeesus out of the engine all of the rest of the time.

dragsters use them, in a VERY precise and narrow focused use.

regardless, yeah im no physcisit, but I can tell you there is more to it then strapping a leafblower to the intake.

hell why not ad some of those "hydrogen generators" to the setup too?

and then run some slick50, and octane booster.

\might be able to get 400 HP out of a 701.

We all understand that you cannot get out more energy than put in, its a very commonly known law of physics.

But I digress, your interpretation of the law is very flawed. By your interpretation superchargers in general would not work, as they would take more mechanical force to produce a chanrge than the charge would improve compustion. As we all know superchargers do in-fact work every day. As for an electric one working, that would come down to the jet skis charging system efficiency and the efficiency of the leaf blower.

I think the OP was talking about a 2 stroke Leaf blower though.

spork

down with the sickness
Pure oxygen? Definately EXPLODE :bigeyes:

Ok heres my idea lets seal the compartment completely and put positive pressure in it with pure oxygen,or an oxygen mixture,either it will run like a bat straight out of hell or blow all to hell because of an errant spark somewhere.:brap:

Top Bottom