Super Jet likely culprit for engine cut-off? 90 SN with 61X/61X

Ok, have a 90 SN. 61x/61x. cdi mod by protec. runs good except when it decides to act up. Thinking electrical as it will go through fits of starting up running for a second or two and then die like the stop button was pushed. Somewhat intermittent though.

So, the question is, what are the likely culprits for this condition and what to test? temp sensor? start switch?, stop switch? lanyard switch? coil?

Thanks,
DJ

Gawd intermittents are the worst. Could be any of those though..
Looks like you have a few yamis so you're better of than some, and have known "good" parts to try..
I'd start with the SS switch. Super easy to plug in another and run the ski. Dont even bother removing yours just plug in another one, and leave it in the tray.
Others are gonna require ebox R&R
If you suspect the temp sensor you can just un plug it and try. It completes a GND cicuit to cdi much like the SS switch when "HOT"
Coil you could OHM with ur ebox opened, but it will likely OHM good if the ski can run with it.. Havta swap another in on that one..
CDI too.. swapage

Last edited:

tshank123

Yo hablo ingles
Alot of times intermittent electrical problems are a loose connection. Check everything, especially the grounds. Check the connections inside the ebox.

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems I have a short somewhere in either the stop switch or lanyard switch. If it wont start, I can unplug my black white leads to the E-box and then it will start.

i had a problem similer to yours and ended up being the rubber boot inside the start stop switch had a small hole in it and would occasionally create a problem exactly like yours. new rubber boot and problem solved

Yeah, I figured it might be water in one of the switches....seems like it happens more after being ridden.

where did you get the rubber boot?

Can anyone chime in on how hard is it to pull the whole switch assembly harness thru the stock pole? also how hard to get it back thru? I have another hull with a start stop switch assembly on it and could swap them out, but I'd have to do it up at the lake with limited tools

Yeah, I figured it might be water in one of the switches....seems like it happens more after being ridden.

where did you get the rubber boot?

Can anyone chime in on how hard is it to pull the whole switch assembly harness thru the stock pole? also how hard to get it back thru? I have another hull with a start stop switch assembly on it and could swap them out, but I'd have to do it up at the lake with limited tools

Tie a thin rope to one of the connectors (blk n white) and pull wires and then rope up and through pole...then you can use the rope to pull replacement back down pole..

Last edited:
Top Bottom