SX/SXi/SXi Pro Line-x or Rhinoline exterior hull?

Has anyone here ever used an undercoating such as line-x on the outside of their ski? Mine is full of chips and scratches, so I was thinking something like this, as opposed to paint or new gelcoat, would be a good alternative. Does anyone know how the coarseness of an undercoating would affect the ride of the ski? Would there be a noticeable difference? If you have pics please post them. Thanks

swapmeet

Brotastic
I think it wouldn't turn out well at all.

Too coarse, On the bottom of the hull, it would effect the way the hull moves through the water, with drag, and on the top deck... eeesh, can't imagine hitting that with any part of my body.

Just my opinion. I doubt anyone has done this.

epoxy fill the chips and scratches, sand smooth and paint with an epoxy paint, there isn't much you can do really a standup will get f'ed a little bit every time you go out regardless of how careful you are.

armymen0268

Bo-Man
i've seen it done, he rhinolined the whole ski but it wasn't rhinolining, it was some off brand that was cheeper. The ski turned out looking okay, i didn't really see the ride reviews tho.

epoxy fill the chips and scratches, sand smooth and paint with an epoxy paint, there isn't much you can do really a standup will get f'ed a little bit every time you go out regardless of how careful you are.

Is epoxy somewhat durable? Do I need to sand all of the gelcoat on the hull to get the paint to work or no?

btmboards

Brett
Id say no to doing it on the bottom. It is pretty thick stuff so it would change the ride. You can however do it in any texture you want, anywhere from basicly a bunch of little spikes to a glass smooth finish. They also can do just about any color to. Ive seen it done on allot of truck rocker panels and on some you cant tell it isnt regular paint at all but it is super tuff. On the other hand though is that it is also super heavy though.

It was a good idea until I called a Line-x dealer...to do only the bottom half of my ski would be $350-$400, and that's in black. To get a different color would be an additional $300. It would supposedly add an additional 5 lbs to the weight, which I wasn't too happy about either.

So, I would still like to repair some chips on the bottom of my hull and then repaint it. Is epoxy paint the best way to go?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
It was a good idea until I called a Line-x dealer...to do only the bottom half of my ski would be $350-$400, and that's in black. To get a different color would be an additional $300. It would supposedly add an additional 5 lbs to the weight, which I wasn't too happy about either.

So, I would still like to repair some chips on the bottom of my hull and then repaint it. Is epoxy paint the best way to go?

Epoxy plus some structural thickener like chopped glass strands or something similar.

Golf Balls peolpe! We did 2 skis with a spray bed liner type spray and the both rip! If you get a brand new ski the best thing you can do is take it to the beach and drag it on the sand! Smooth skis seem like a great idea but it doesn't work that way.
Golf balls!

The down side is they side like :):):):) on the trailer.

46b53642-d8f6-ed0b.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom