Lithium batteries

bondra131

Thaat's braptaastic!
So I would love to drop off the 9 pounds or so by running a lithium battery in my superjet. However, I've been told by someone knowledgeable that runs lithium batteries in the drag race cars he builds that I couldn't just simply throw one in my ski and be good. He says those batteries need a special charger and that a regular charger system such as the one off a stator will only ruin the battery in no time. Yet I know tons of riders run lithium in their skis. What's the truth here? Lol.

Fro Diesel

creative control
Getting jetski advice from a land dwelling drag racer is like getting financial advice from MC Hammer.

I have run WPS lithiums for going on three years with No issues. surf abuse, salt water, even total loss is not really an issue.

Size will depend on motor compression, not size, and weather you want to run an electric bilge pump. I think i have around 180cca, and it works just fine for my 190psi and i run a bilge and stock electronics.

Tell your drag race buddy to stuff it, and dont bother to expalin it to him. There's a different breed of logic in the race world. Be careful because some people resist change at all costs.

18lbs AGM battery 90$ autozone
2.4lbs lithium WPS battery from amazon $120-220 and yes you will need a lithium battery charger which will limit the input voltage. They sell lithium chargers everywhere, walmart, autozone, batteries plus, amazon.

The additional airtime a lithium battery provides will not increase risk of a midair explosion, like Malaysia flight 370

Last edited:

bondra131

Thaat's braptaastic!
So the stator won't charge a lithium but won't hurt it. So it will be like running total loss and I'll just have to charge it after a daily ride? Was looking into getting the wps like you run... Found em for $80. Cheaper than an agm and wayyy lighter

Fro Diesel

creative control
So the stator won't charge a lithium but won't hurt it. So it will be like running total loss and I'll just have to charge it after a daily ride? Was looking into getting the wps like you run... Found em for $80. Cheaper than an agm and wayyy lighter
Never said anything about that. Didnt i tell you to disregard everything that guy said??

A stock charging system works just fine with a lithium battery. The stator puts out the same voltage regardless of what battery you run, agm, stock, lithium, small car battery.

If for some reason you drain your lithium battery, do not use a standard charger. Any charger that puts out over 14.9volts can damage a lithium battery. For this reason, just order a lithium charger when you buy your battery.

That being said, i took my last wps out of the box and just ran it. I did not charge it, until after winter. Some people who do not have a charging system (ie total loss) will run a couple tanks of gas before charging.

It will not be like total loss.not even close.

Do toss the battery at your drag friend, so he can catch it, and pretend its super heavy. ;)
But seriously, just strap it down well, and brap!

bondra131

Thaat's braptaastic!
Ohh ok. I just read the part about getting a lithium charger and thought you meant I had to get one because my ski won't charge the thing. I have stock electronics too. Lightened oem flywheel. I'm gettin a lithium heeeeell yea! Thanks man

Never said anything about that. Didnt i tell you to disregard everything that guy said??

A stock charging system works just fine with a lithium battery. The stator puts out the same voltage regardless of what battery you run, agm, stock, lithium, small car battery.

If for some reason you drain your lithium battery, do not use a standard charger. Any charger that puts out over 14.9volts can damage a lithium battery. For this reason, just order a lithium charger when you buy your battery.

That being said, i took my last wps out of the box and just ran it. I did not charge it, until after winter. Some people who do not have a charging system (ie total loss) will run a couple tanks of gas before charging.

It will not be like total loss.not even close.

Do toss the battery at your drag friend, so he can catch it, and pretend its super heavy. ;)
But seriously, just strap it down well, and brap!

bondra131

Thaat's braptaastic!
Wow! That's a pretty high powered one then? I'm not sure what the numbers mean and what I need... It's just for a regular ass 701 head and b pipe build

I picked this Scorpion Lithium battery up used on the forum here. It has 507cca and is very light. It says right on the top that you can use a normal charger. I used a battery tender as a charger if it needs it. It even has a charge level indicator built into the top which is pretty convenient.

https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/lithium-iron-batteries/sstx20ch-fp.html

Christian_83

Xscream
http://x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/ballastic-lithium-battery-on-fire-in-jetski.152625/

I will never run a Li battery again, In my 20K+ jetski, unless the battery is provided with a guarantee specific for jet ski. Had a Anti Gravity battery in my ski for 3 rides, before it crapped out.
And the risk of self igniting in my boat with no insurance, i will stick with my GEL battery.
Im running a 12V7Ah battery GEL battery that weighs around 3kg, LI 1kg and normal 12V18Ah is around 6kg. Setup is TPE900CO 200PSi and TL.

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance

A stock charging system works just fine with a lithium battery.

I disagree here.

Lithium batteries require a CC/CV charge algorithm, which you oem electrics don't have. They ARE NOT designed for a stock charging system, regardless of voltage output.

That said, several people use them with stock electrics and seem to get by ok.

Here is some detailed reading if you're interested.......posts 70/71

AntiGravity Autopsy pics
http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/AntiGravity--Autopsy-pics.143193/

bondra131

Thaat's braptaastic!
Ok the self ignite thing is complete bs. The materials in those batteries aren't not even flammable lol... A complete ridiculous myth someone started. that shonet doesn't happen

http://x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/ballastic-lithium-battery-on-fire-in-jetski.152625/

I will never run a Li battery again, In my 20K+ jetski, unless the battery is provided with a guarantee specific for jet ski. Had a Anti Gravity battery in my ski for 3 rides, before it crapped out.
And the risk of self igniting in my boat with no insurance, i will stick with my GEL battery.
Im running a 12V7Ah battery GEL battery that weighs around 3kg, LI 1kg and normal 12V18Ah is around 6kg. Setup is TPE900CO 200PSi and TL.

bondra131

Thaat's braptaastic!
Screw it, I'm gettin one. Insured or not, I am insured. For what a 2014 SJ is worth... Doesn't cover the 6 g's in mods lol but they don't light on fire so yea... No worries here

Christian_83

Xscream
Well i guess the guy with the li battery on fire, in his jetski set it on fire himself :) Along with the people who got, smartphone, E-cig and stuff like that who went up in flames :)
Anyway got luck with it.

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
They are relatively safe, but are very dangerous if not charged/handled properly. I've never had an issue in over 15 yrs, but I've witnessed several incidents that could have been very, very bad. Most failures occur during charging, or due to impact damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fro Diesel

creative control
Well i guess the guy with the li battery on fire, in his jetski set it on fire himself :) Along with the people who got, smartphone, E-cig and stuff like that who went up in flames :)
Anyway got luck with it.
I know for a fact you can set your jetski on fire without a lithium. Isnt gas vapor flamable?

Best story i ever read on this site was when a guy filled his bilge with fuel, tried to crank with plug wires off, and boom, huge fire, water did nothing, then the ski rolled down the driveway in process of putting out fire, and set his car on fire too. This was before lithiums. It might not be the exact story. But that is how i remember reading it.

I can only speak from my experience with the WPS batteries. Other brands may be different. A normal charger will not work on all lithiums.

Last edited:
Top Bottom