Llightweight flywheel vs. MSD Enhancer

maef

Fly
I am thinking about purchasing a billet lightweight flywheel to have better bottom end performance. However, I heard that sometimes the flywheel don’t seem to work very well if you have an MSD enhancer in your ski due to irregularities in the magnets. Has anyone ever heard or experienced this issue?

Cheers

MAEF

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I am running a TBM flywheel and MSD enhancer in my SJ with no problems.

I am also running a lightened stocker 61x wheel with and enhancer in my blaster. No problems there either.

maef

Fly
Thanks! Good to know. Never heard anything about it?

I am running a TBM flywheel and MSD enhancer in my SJ with no problems.

I am also running a lightened stocker 61x wheel with and enhancer in my blaster. No problems there either.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I haven't heard or seen any issues with the TBM and an Enhancer.
Sometimes the Advent ignition can be tricky with that flywheel.

But.....

TBM + Enchancer = ~$850

ATP TL - $1,100
MSD TL - $1,200

IMHO, the performance of TBM + Enhancer isn't worth anywhere near what you pay for it. C
If you're dead-set on spending $850 on that combination, spending an extra couple hundred to get TL will be the best bang for the buck power you can get. :biggrin:

maef

Fly
Agreed, but alreay have a MSD installed.

I haven't heard or seen any issues with the TBM and an Enhancer.
Sometimes the Advent ignition can be tricky with that flywheel.

But.....

TBM + Enchancer = ~$850

ATP TL - $1,100
MSD TL - $1,200

IMHO, the performance of TBM + Enhancer isn't worth anywhere near what you pay for it. C
If you're dead-set on spending $850 on that combination, spending an extra couple hundred to get TL will be the best bang for the buck power you can get. :biggrin:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Some models of the Advent Ignitions had issues with aftermarket flywheels but the MSD Enhancers seem to work with just about everythnig.

I have TBM Flywheels and Enhancers on both my skis with no issues to date.

maef

Fly
Sorry, you mean I should stick with OEM flywheel or move to TL? My FW is broken, so I need a replacement an thought is would be a good performance improvement. Tnx!

I see. It wouldn't be performance improvement worth $600, in my opinion.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
probably not worth 600.

I think I paid 500 for my TBM slightly used, and 100 for my enhancer used as well. So im in it for 600 and still have a charging system. Was it worth that in power? IDK probably not? Maybe? I guess I would notice if I took them both off.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Sorry, you mean I should stick with OEM flywheel or move to TL? My FW is broken, so I need a replacement an thought is would be a good performance improvement. Tnx!

If you want to stick with the Enhancer and you're willing to throw $600 at it for a bit more performance, sure.
Really, your only options are another OEM flywheel, an OEM lightened flywheel, or an aftermarket charging flywheel. In my opinion, there isn't much performance difference between those options (there is some!). You'll have to decide how much extra performance you want to pay for.

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
If you are trying to get back in the game quick then I would just advance your timing a bit (depending on riding style) and throw on a used stock flywheel or #Zero lightened one for just a tad more (if he has one handy it may take less time to get than buying used one online). I have no experience with the lightweight charging flywheels but I would pay a bit more and go with Total Loss before I bought one of those. Keep in mind TL is not a plug an play deal. You need to have some certain tools to set it up correctly and of course the wiring and mounting can be a chore.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Advents seem to be more miss than hit when it comes to reliability, though.
And that's saying something compared to the Enchancers. :lmao:

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
I talked to someone who got with the MSD guys and asked them why they don't fix the reliability issues with the enhancers and TL brains. The quote I heard was " It's cheaper to provide a replacement (for those who purchased new) than to do the R&D necessary to fix those problems." The best quote I heard on here about enhancers was that "MSD should sell a tow rope with every enhancer." LMAO.

lol! biggest waste of money on my ski so far. the hotter spark and timing curve dont help when when they are sitting on the bench. youd figure after all those years of faulty products msd would fix the enhancers by now

Top Bottom