Looking for advise on SJ build up.

I know this has been covered many many times but the search feature has just confused the sh&t out of me…..

I bought a 1996 superjet roundnose with no motor; I believe the ski used to be a race ski it had number plates on it. I have also bought a 701 motor for it, it is stock totally. The ski is here in my shop and I am waiting on the motor to get here. The ski has a Riva ride plate and a protect intake grate (purple if it matters). I live on a lake in northern AL (Smith Lake) so my riding is flat water with a boat wakes sometimes. I had a stock SJ square nose 650 last summer and loved it but someone else loved it more then me (it got stolen). So as long as the ski is apart what should be the things I should do now so I wont have to tear the ski apart later (unless I hurt something later because I was having way too much fun). I wana learn to freestyle so what ever I can do to the ski to help me help myself. Oh yea I wana keep the costs low……

Questions:
1) How can I tell it the handle bars have been changed?
2) As long as the ski is apart should I do the fiberglass reinforcements? I see there are 100’s of threads about it but not sure what really needs to be done. Guidance?
3) What is the difference between a dry pipe and regular pipes? Should I put an aftermarket pipe on the ski?
4) What about a head? Aftermarket or cut the stock one?
5) Shorten the hand pole? -1 to -5? I am 5’11”
6) Foot holds? I need to returf the ski anyway.
7) bilge pumps? I know the answer to this but where do I mount the pumps? Location (Iknow in the bilge but where there is no motor in there)?

Am I missing anything? I am a couch guy I build some bad ass skis so I am not scared at all. I have built 5 over 85mph GPRXP”s . Thanks in advance for all the help.

Last edited:
I'm no expert for sure (get some second opinions), but here's my list of what I'd do to that ski given your riding conditions:

- flame arrestors
- Factory Pipe (wet) B-pipe w/ the Limited chamber
- headwork or aftermarket head to raise compression to 180psi (reliable and can still use 92-93 octane pump gas)
- Kicker footholds and mat kit
- wait on the bilge for now if the stock siphon is there. It'll be much easier to mount once you know where to mount it. :)
- ride plate (or D-cut your stock one)...depending on what Riva plate you've got now. I'm not a fan of the Groovy.
- maybe a scoop grate.
- Wet Wolf pump cone
- Impeller, depending on what's on there. If it's the aluminum stocker, replace it for sure. I'm thinking Skat Trak 13/17 or something like that.
- a layer of glass on the lower hull sides inside the engine compartment, up to the bondline.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:

YAMA CAT

Catnip Junkie!
I know this has been covered many many times but the search feature has just confused the sh&t out of me…..

I bought a 1996 superjet roundnose with no motor; I believe the ski used to be a race ski it had number plates on it. I have also bought a 701 motor for it, it is stock totally. The ski is here in my shop and I am waiting on the motor to get here. The ski has a Riva ride plate and a protect intake grate (purple if it matters). I live on a lake in northern AL (Smith Lake) so my riding is flat water with a boat wakes sometimes. I had a stock SJ square nose 650 last summer and loved it but someone else loved it more then me (it got stolen). So as long as the ski is apart what should be the things I should do now so I wont have to tear the ski apart later (unless I hurt something later because I was having way too much fun). I wana learn to freestyle so what ever I can do to the ski to help me help myself. Oh yea I wana keep the costs low……

Questions:
1) How can I tell it the handle bars have been changed?
2) As long as the ski is apart should I do the fiberglass reinforcements? I see there are 100’s of threads about it but not sure what really needs to be done. Guidance?
3) What is the difference between a dry pipe and regular pipes? Should I put an aftermarket pipe on the ski?
4) What about a head? Aftermarket or cut the stock one?
5) Shorten the hand pole? -1 to -5? I am 5’11”
6) Foot holds? I need to returf the ski anyway.
7) bilge pumps? I know the answer to this but where do I mount the pumps? Location (Iknow in the bilge but where there is no motor in there)?

Am I missing anything? I am a couch guy I build some bad ass skis so I am not scared at all. I have built 5 over 85mph GPRXP”s . Thanks in advance for all the help.

Me and my husband @ the lake one day and you can try our set ups. We four SJ each in various stages of Modifications. It will at least give idea what you want or don't want to do to your ski. It's all a matter of personal perference. The same question will bring you 20 different answers. We had a hard time choosing so each one is different.

08' SJ Bone Stock with just a scoop grate

06' SJ Limited
ADA Girdled Head with 35cc Domes (Pump Gas)
Type 4 Dry Pipe
MSD Enhancer
Solas J Prop or I (I can't remember it the hubbies ski)
Worx Grate
Jet Dynamics Short Plate
Rickter Foot Holds

05' SJ
ADA Girdled Head with 24cc Domes (Race/)
83mm Ported 62T Flat-Top
48mm Full Spec Carbs
Speedwerx Dry Pipe
MSD Total Loss
Jet Dynamics Long Plate
Rickter Foot Holds
140 Mag Pump 13/21 prop
Worx pump stuffer Grate
UMI Steering
Tubbie II sponsons
Hull Extentions

00' SJ
ADA Girdled Head with 35cc Domes (Pump Gas)
84mm Ported 61x Big Bore
49mm Full Spec Carbs
Type 4 Dry Pipe
MSD Enhancer
Solas J Prop 5mm cutback
Worx Grate
Worx Dominatior Plate
24/7 Foot Holds
UMI Steering
-3 stock pole

Top Bottom