Looking for my first stand up

We'll I'm wanting to get in to this sport but unfortunately in Saskatchewan they don't sell stand ups, so I'll be making my way down to the US some time to pick one up when I find what. That is why I'm asking what would be the best way to go, I was wondering weather to just by a new 2013/2014 super jet. Or should I just be looking at getting a used one. Eventually I will be wanting to mod it to try doing some tricks. I am a mechanic so I have the skills to do work on the ski

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrightE's

Paul
Hey welcome! I think the overwhelming advice you're going to find here is that most would recommend you steer clear of a new Superjet purchase. For the same amount of money, you can get a very well put together boat with many upgrades. What type of riding are you looking to get into? Recreational cruising, freestyle, buoy racing? Have you ridden a Superjet before? Or any other stand-up ski for that matter.

It would be my suggestion that you source out a used ski, and buy in cash. For what you could get a new Superjet for $7500 to $8500, you could get a really great used ski with a good amount of upgrades on it already.

I have a seedoo all ready so this would be for freestyle and just screwing around on the lake I have a boat so I would like to strap it on to the swim platform on the back of my harbercraft (if it will fit) and when we stop have it to play with. And I have not ridden one before so that will be new to me

Welcome to the site man. buying your first ski is exciting, and the fact that you have the money to buy a newer one puts you in a better position to set yourself up with something nice. Every week someone else asks the same question, and every week I respond with the same warning. IMO the quality on newer SJ's it total garbage. see my thread here http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/what-should-i-do.140029/. I made the mistake of buying a 2013. it was hands down the WORST purchase I have ever made. wish I would have just saved the extra cash and gone with an AM ski or bought a 2k dollar used SJ. Hell, I could have spent 9k (which is how much yours will be after taxes and fees- my base price was 8100) on a gold toilet and I would have been happier. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A SUPER JUNK. On top of that, you mention that you want to do some freestyle. if you are surf riding then ignore my next statements. Everyone says the superjets are the gold standard of entry level freestyle, which is why I bought one. IMO, the super jets WERE the gold standard of entry level freestyle back when freestyle included submarines and hood tricks. you cant flatwater flip it. My suggestion would be to by a cheap SJ (under 2k) since they are good all around skis that you can learn on, don't put a dime into it, ride the hell out if it, and in the mean time save every penny you can for an AM ski. then when you are ready for the am ski you will probably be able to sell your SJ for what you paid.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply and so far that is the answer I've gotten from a lot of people so now I have to figure out price range on a AM ski that I am wiling to pay. I think that $16,000 it going to be the top that I can afford now. Or maybe I just by a hull and go from there but being as I have not even driven one I think I would have a hard time setting one up and knowing what would be best to put on it to make it handle properly.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
$16k is a lot to put your foot in the door. Buy a superjet or similar for $2-3k. Enjoy it, see if it's what you like. By that time you will know what part of the sport you want to move into and what you need to make it happen. Then you can transition into another ski. With the kind of money you have available, it would be no problem to crate in an aftermarket hull. The most important thing is that you buy the right hull the 1st time, and you don't have the ride time to know which one you should pick (that is best for you, not a strangers recommendation).

You guys have to understand that stand ups alone are very rare up here, let alone superjets. The cheapest good shape round nose you'll find up here is a good deal at $5000.

The most important thing is that you buy the right hull the 1st time, and you don't have the ride time to know which one you should pick (that is best for you, not a strangers recommendation).[/quote]

Se this I why I posted on hear is for all this info what does a person look for in a hull? I realize they all handle difrentley but what should you look for? A flatter one ? And Ya 16,000 is a lot that would be max

It all depends on what your looking for, for flips you want some short, wide and lots of rocker. For more of a rec ride you want something a little longer. It all comes down to personal preference. The best advice I can give you is ride before you buy!!!

Welcome to the site man. buying your first ski is exciting, and the fact that you have the money to buy a newer one puts you in a better position to set yourself up with something nice. Every week someone else asks the same question, and every week I respond with the same warning. IMO the quality on newer SJ's it total garbage. see my thread here http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/what-should-i-do.140029/. I made the mistake of buying a 2013. it was hands down the WORST purchase I have ever made. wish I would have just saved the extra cash and gone with an AM ski or bought a 2k dollar used SJ. Hell, I could have spent 9k (which is how much yours will be after taxes and fees- my base price was 8100) on a gold toilet and I would have been happier. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A SUPER JUNK. On top of that, you mention that you want to do some freestyle. if you are surf riding then ignore my next statements. Everyone says the superjets are the gold standard of entry level freestyle, which is why I bought one. IMO, the super jets WERE the gold standard of entry level freestyle back when freestyle included submarines and hood tricks. you cant flatwater flip it. My suggestion would be to by a cheap SJ (under 2k) since they are good all around skis that you can learn on, don't put a dime into it, ride the hell out if it, and in the mean time save every penny you can for an AM ski. then when you are ready for the am ski you will probably be able to sell your SJ for what you paid.

Just my 2 cents.

Is this just because your paint started peeling? Superjets are not junk...

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Se this I why I posted on hear is for all this info what does a person look for in a hull? I realize they all handle difrentley but what should you look for? A flatter one ? And Ya 16,000 is a lot that would be max

I myself went for versatility. Superjet is good for me because I do everything with my ski. A good place to start is what kind of riding you want to do. If you want to race, a Xscream hull is bad for you. If you want to flatwater flip, a Bullet race hull is bad for you. Making the decision on what kind of riding you want to do will narrow down your choices. If you don't know what you want to do, it would be best to start with something versitle like a Superjet, standard/-2 superfreak, a 750sxipro or something else that gives you options to try different riding. If you know from the get go that you are looking for flatwater aerials, you know to go with a BOB, Backie chan, Xscream, shortened superfreak, etc.

Decide your riding style then ask for hull suggestions. If you are unsure, get something less specific.

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
If you can get a great deal on AM id say go for it if you think you will stick with it. IF you love jet sking try and find a built ski around 10k, save some money and go from there. I believe there is a gen1 BOB up there with an 826 or something, i will see if i can find the link. Its alot of money to test the waters so to speak, but if you think youll stick with it why not...its only money lol. Since its your first standup its all going to be new to you so a cheaper ski will be cool while you test other hulls, learn the skill/tricks, and wait & see what new hull designs come out next yr for world finals. I don't know of many people who ride a stand up and say, yeah i think ill just ride a sit down (okay one person, he was my fat friend and my js550 rode nose high for him lmao)

Top Bottom