650/X-2 Looking for x2 hood

Looking for a shaved/chopped x2 hood, I found my hood has more damage on lower half than I was expecting to fix so just looking for another one to save me alot of time. may be interested in just a stock x2 hood too. please let me know what you have!

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Repair yours with Bondo and Foam. Shave it and lift a mold. Layup a new lightweight hood. Wont save you time, but might save you weight, learn ya somethin' and might not be too much more expensive when you look into a new hood, especially if that new hood is shipped, then still needs choppage. The angles on the stock hood can are kind of sharp, so don't under estimate the difficulty of laying up a proper mold/part.

Thats a good Idea! Can you tell me more on the mold making and then more about what to make my new hood out of as far as process and material laying??? I would love to do this! My hood right now has alot of stress cracks all over it and it is bent out on the sides so its just about trash.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Well, the quickest, easiest and cheapest method is to buy a new hood, so I'd recommend that route.

However, if you want to make a mold and a new part, the right way would be to...

Chop the hood, use foam and bondo to get the shape you want out of the hood. Sand the bondo down with 220 or maybe even finer to get a fine finish that you can still paint. Spray it with tooling Gel Coat or maybe a paint to get a paint quality finish. Wax the part with a quality wax, then spray it with PVA mold release, then spray it with tooling gelcoat. Next layup resin and glass, you should use epoxy as poly can shrink. I like to work with Biax glass. You should make the mold twice as thick as the part but do not layup more than 1/4" of glass at a time to prevent heat warp. Pop off the mold, then repeat the prep for the part (wax, PVA, Gelcoat, Glass). Remove part. Prep, paint. How thick the part should be... I don't know. Maybe 3-4 layers of 17oz biax? I'm not sure how thick it should be.

It's a very involved process. It's also a hard thing to do with limited glass experience. Last mold I attempted to make came out only okish, and the part I pulled I was not pleased with. The problem with the hood is the hood has those 90* angles with only a slight curve to the edges, which makes it challenging to copy for people like us (with limited experience).

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I like using a sawsall with a wood blade. Can be a little crazy. Can use a grinder or a sheet metal saw with a wood blade grinded to fit for more control. Add foam, sand smooth, wrap with glass, pressure wash foam out.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Oh, then mix cabosil and microspheres 50/50 with epoxy to make a filler, rub on, sand smooth.

Use epoxy resin and a biaxial glass. Up to you to determine what glass weight and thickness you like.

Top Bottom