Blaster Looking to buy a blaster - need some advice

I have been in the market for a blaster for some time now and I recently found one for $800 that is all stock, minus a bilge and finger throttle and was painted a couple months ago. It does need a pump seal and the exhaust bolts were over torqued and broke off and need to be tapped out. i do not know how hard it is to tap the bolts out. no trailer, clean title but in the previous owners name. Is this worth it considering the work that has to be done?

i appreciate anyones help or advice.

thank you,

Reid

Based on that info, it's a great deal
how hard is it to tap the exhaust bolts? would it be worth it to try and get a new pipe for it? whats the best alternative if i don't want to spend the money on a b pipe?

while the pump is off, should i go ahead and replace the prop? what prop is best?

what do you guys think of the UMI steering? I had one on a previous X2 and it made it turn like a dime.

Never had to tap exhaust bolts. Keep an eye out on Facebook blaster group, here or eBay for a used pipe.

You can replace prop if you'd like. I'd recommend a hooker 10/16 prop if you can find one used.

UMI steering is great. How much do you have for mods and what are you going to use this ski for? Racing? Surf? Lake? If it's for the lake, you don't really need much to have fun!

Never had to tap exhaust bolts. Keep an eye out on Facebook blaster group, here or eBay for a used pipe.

You can replace prop if you'd like. I'd recommend a hooker 10/16 prop if you can find one used.

UMI steering is great. How much do you have for mods and what are you going to use this ski for? Racing? Surf? Lake? If it's for the lake, you don't really need much to have fun!
I will probably just use it for riding at the lake. as far as budget goes, I don't want to spend a fortune on this ski, just want something that will start when I hit the button at the lake. I don't want something that is always having to be messed with.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
You can drill out the broken bolts fairly easily. Use cobalt drills, or weld a nut to the bolt, or take it to a machine shop and pay them to do it. Ez-outs do not work well with seized bolts and will make it more difficult when you break one off into the bolt.

How does he know he it needs a pump seal? That sounds like "carbs need to be rebuilt". Could be anything from the mid shaft or pump bearings are shot, to the mid shaft or drive line splines are stripped and is going to cost a few hundred at least.

You can drill out the broken bolts fairly easily. Use cobalt drills, or weld a nut to the bolt, or take it to a machine shop and pay them to do it. Ez-outs do not work well with seized bolts and will make it more difficult when you break one off into the bolt.

How does he know he it needs a pump seal? That sounds like "carbs need to be rebuilt". Could be anything from the mid shaft or pump bearings are shot, to the mid shaft or drive line splines are stripped and is going to cost a few hundred at least.

He said he let his friend take his pump off to put the pump seal on his Superjet...when I go look at it, whats the best things to look at to make sure the drive shaft/mid shaft is ok?

There's some good videos in You Tube for extracting bolts. If I'm not mistaken tapping is the process of rethreading. You want to extract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
assuming the title is okay, what do you think about the pump seal? anything i should look for when i go look at it?

My opinion, blasters are sky rocketing in price. If it runs at all, has a good title and you're looking to find something then have at it. I would normally say to save for something nicer but anything half decent in a B1 is $2500 on the low end right now. It would seem beaters that barely run are fetching close to $1500. I think, in my area, a B1 not running would go for $800. I know people who've told me to keep an eye open for a decent hull were willing to pay $400-500.

The only thing to consider is if you can fix it yourself and how long you are willing to wait for a fair price on a pipe. Expect to pay no less than $700 for a FPP.

My opinion, blasters are sky rocketing in price. If it runs at all, has a good title and you're looking to find something then have at it. I would normally say to save for something nicer but anything half decent in a B1 is $2500 on the low end right now. It would seem beaters that barely run are fetching close to $1500. I think, in my area, a B1 not running would go for $800. I know people who've told me to keep an eye open for a decent hull were willing to pay $400-500.

The only thing to consider is if you can fix it yourself and how long you are willing to wait for a fair price on a pipe. Expect to pay no less than $700 for a FPP.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I am willing to do some work, however my knowledge only goes so far (thats why I am always posting seemingly dumb questions on here). I appreciate your advice, I know a B Pipe is the way to go, but gosh those cost a pretty penny.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I am willing to do some work, however my knowledge only goes so far (thats why I am always posting seemingly dumb questions on here). I appreciate your advice, I know a B Pipe is the way to go, but gosh those cost a pretty penny.

If you can get a good deal on a stock ski, I think you should. That'll get you on the water right away. You should just give some consideration before sinking a bunch of money into the thing. You might be better off finding a good condition sport spec ski this winter and selling the stocker you're buying next summer.

I'm following that advice. Stocker is fine in clean surf. I suspect I can find something I'm happy with over the Winter. I have the advantage of not needing to rush.

I had similar problems with my exhaust bolts. @Rdrttoy sent me the misc stock exhaust parts I needed to get going. He has new parts now so I'm sure he can solve your pump seal problem.

yamabro

GP Performance / Patterson Powersports
Dude you had me amped up wanting to get myself a B1,... so I started looking and scored this beauty today for $500
1993 B1 w/ trailer
All stock under the hood 61X, even compression
UMI Steering and bars
Jet Dynamics ride plate and intake grate

image.jpeg

If you can get a good deal on a stock ski, I think you should. That'll get you on the water right away. You should just give some consideration before sinking a bunch of money into the thing. You might be better off finding a good condition sport spec ski this winter and selling the stocker you're buying next summer.

I'm following that advice. Stocker is fine in clean surf. I suspect I can find something I'm happy with over the Winter. I have the advantage of not needing to rush.

I had similar problems with my exhaust bolts. @Rdrttoy sent me the misc stock exhaust parts I needed to get going. He has new parts now so I'm sure he can solve your pump seal problem.

I know anything is possible to find on craiglist but I have taken the route of trying to wait for something during the winter and there is usually a lot less than you would think. I'm always keeping an eye out though

Best way to remove a snapped bolt is to weld a nut onto the broken bolt then unbolt it. Usually a machine shop will do it for $10-20. You won't damage the threads. $800 is a killer deal. Over here you blasters go for around $2k

I've owned and built many blasters in the past. Just got back into watercraft and have two in the garage now. The first one I bought bone stock for $1500. They are kinda lame stock IMO. My first mod was an MSD CDI, Second ADA Girdled head, third Factory Pipe. Take you time and wait for deals. I picked up the factory pipe for $600. Worst case wait for a new Factory B pipe you can make it work in a blaster. Whatever pipe you get make sure it is complete.

The second B1 I am building an engine for it now. 760 out of a Raider, 62t electronics, ADA Girdled head, and a Factory 760 GP pipe.

Good luck and enjoy your B1.
Joe.......

Top Bottom