SX/SXi/SXi Pro looking to get first standup...everybody says SJ but what about 650 or 750?

ctatv

2strokes forever
So, i have heard all about the SJ 701 as a great ski to get but I figured in here i could get some honest opinions on the 650sx and 750sx. my uncle rode skis a lot in the late 80s and into the mid 90s. first got a js550, then a 650sx, then sold the 650sx and got a 750sx, then bought back the 650sx, then again sold the 650sx (the same 650 not different ones) neither the 550 or 750 have seen water since maybe 98 99 but he isnt selling them he keeps everything so getting either of them is out of the question (which sucks because both are spotless look like brand new and the 750 he did buy new, the 550 is pretty heavily modified

so his take on the skis to me was the 550 was fun and had lots of aftermarket but was very narrow and hardest to ride. The 650 was great for a beginner and the most stable, the 750 was a nice ski too. He says he liked the kawis because they slide through corners more rather than cutting through them like the yamahas

I am looking to get a ski to play around on and possibly learn a few tricks not ever planning on competing or serious freestyle (that I know of)

Any comments relating to this post are welcomed....

ctatv

2strokes forever
get a superjet, dont waste time and money. seriously. 701 or better.... and DEFINTELY a ROUNDNOSE

ill be looking in the fall and dont know how much money ill have i would love to get a round nose if I go SJ but it does seem the SN are a lot cheaper...

im looking in the $2000 & under range would prefer a good running ski but not afraid to do some work on the right project at all (although Im not great at fiberglass & wouldnt trust myself to repair any structural integrity in the hull so a solid hull is most likely a must. things like bump rail, HT, and paint, & some engine work is AOK. I wont have money till the fall so likely would have entire winter to get ski ready for next summer. I have my jetboat for this summer and that puts a smile on my face & can fit 30+ beers in the built in cooler...

dad got this when I was 12 & got my boater/PWC lisence, he would take me and and friend or two to the lake at 9AM and come back to pick us up at 5, was lots of fun. has the 787 rotax engine people seem to respect here I belive (the 110hp)

100_0817.jpg

he sold it so I manned up and got this about 4 years ago with my own money for 5800 + put about 2k into it including custom stereo and fiberglassed hood replaced mirrors with two 6.5 inch memphis marine speakers right in my face = clear music at 60mph

102_0021.jpg

now want to addd a standup to the lineup

Last edited:

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
I am guessing Saki's comment re the RN was a little tongue in cheek, the SN is a great ski too. The performance differences between similarly equipped SN & RN SJ's are subtle.

ctatv

2strokes forever
I am guessing Saki's comment re the RN was a little tongue in cheek, the SN is a great ski too. The performance differences between similarly equipped SN & RN SJ's are subtle.

im not doing anything too hardcore either, want to play around learn a few tricks down the road maybe just have something fun to screw around on & put a smile on my face. learning some tricks for myself is tempting never competing or anything

people are gonna start flipping and arguing, and there's always "that guy" that paid $400 for the best ski in the world.. but figure about....

2k = squarenose done up with mods.
3.5k-4k = decent roundie done up with a few mods

i wont say you'll get a "nice" squarenose tho. :smile:

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
650sx is a dog
750sx is a decent ski, for my 13 year old son
Yamaha superjet all the way, squarenose is right in your price range
Dont worry if it has a 650 in it: ride it and drop in a 701 this winter
you wont get good enough to need the extra power the first season anyway!

ctatv

2strokes forever
650sx is a dog
750sx is a decent ski, for my 13 year old son
Yamaha superjet all the way, squarenose is right in your price range
Dont worry if it has a 650 in it: ride it and drop in a 701 this winter
you wont get good enough to need the extra power the first season anyway!

how much do 701s go for? how tricky dicky is the switch?

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
how much do 701s go for? how tricky dicky is the switch?

look around, sometimes you can find deals on 701
some are listed on this site
easy switch, search for threads on it
I am still riding my 650 with a hi compression head and a pipe
and it hits hard!

ctatv

2strokes forever
look around, sometimes you can find deals on 701
some are listed on this site
easy switch, search for threads on it
I am still riding my 650 with a hi compression head and a pipe
and it hits hard!

im a total standup noob so i wont be doing anything hardcore till i stop eating water trying to "stand up":scratchchin: so that sounds cool. wont have money for a few months

sxi steve

Life's short, have fun.
I ride the below and am very happy. Find a clean boat, 750 or SJ 701, hopefully it's local and a fair price, and have some fun. Learn the technical aspects of that boat, there all different, but you can pull off the same tricks on either boat. Don't get all hung up with the dudes that think the only way to have any fun or perform some advanced tricks is on a SJ. Either boat you'll most likely slap a prop, head and pipe on eventually.

---

ctatv

2strokes forever
I ride the below and am very happy. Find a clean boat, 750 or SJ 701, hopefully it's local and a fair price, and have some fun. Learn the technical aspects of that boat, there all different, but you can pull off the same tricks on either boat. Don't get all hung up with the dudes that think the only way to have any fun or perform some advanced tricks is on a SJ. Either boat you'll most likely slap a prop, head and pipe on eventually.

---

yeah prop pipe and etc will def go on. I keep almost nothing stock. and i love the icons on this site:Banane57:

I have an old beater 750SX and I absolutely love it! There are so many mods that you can do to those things and they're almost always available which make them that much more appealing. Even if I had the money to go out and a buy a brand new superjet I would still keep my old SX and continue to work on it. I am partial to Kawasakis because they are the true OG's of the standups, since 1973 and going strong!

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I have ridden highly modded versions of both and I prefer my superjets. Keep watching the for sale threads and craigslist and a 701 sn will come up eventually for less than $2000. You just have to be patient and keep watching.

ctatv

2strokes forever
I have ridden highly modded versions of both and I prefer my superjets. Keep watching the for sale threads and craigslist and a 701 sn will come up eventually for less than $2000. You just have to be patient and keep watching.

yeah thats why i joined up here now im trying to take in some knowledge and begin to get familiar with prices ahead of time so i know a little bit by the time the money comes in

Top Bottom