Super Jet lowered Square nose hood

tom21

havin fun
not getting a lot of time on this, little here little there. I have a hood liner to design, mold and make for the fx and then im 100% done with that build.

I have been devoting some time to this hood and to the lowered blaster seat where I can. I will get a pic up when I have it where it doesnt look like a green blob.

so far some of the issue is trying to get it low as possible while still keeping certain parts. it only gets more expensive if you have to cut the nose up and do glass work or get a new lowered pole bracket etc. it may come to that in the end but Im still trying to make it just a hood and nose swap to keep it cheap.

In related news, since I will be building hulls in the future and have to do it solo I have been working on perfecting my infusion layups and have been progressing nicely. The fx top hood shell is at 4lbs, its pretty solid for 2lbs of glass and 2lbs of resin. the liner is smaller than the shell so it should be 2.5 to 3lbs for a 7 or 8 lbs hood or less when done. so a similar size hood for a square will be very close to that. even if I had to add to it we could be talking a very solid 12lbs lowered square hood. IN GLASS! that should be a very nice light and inexpensive hood.

To lay it all on the table, I always have a million things to do. when push comes to shove I have to pay bills. I only have so many hours in a day to fix skis and make parts so when it comes to free time to work on it, I dont have a lot. If there is solid interest in this hood I can step up and put every waking moment into it. I realize you dont have anything to look at but imagine something along the lines of what bruceski has done. I would like to do the hood and nose for 600.00. or just the hood for 500. how many would be seriously interested in it if I can make it happen like quick? like 2 months or less from now.

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Thanks Tom, If I don't buy an a/m hull before then and like the design I would be first in line. i I gave a lot of thought to the SJL nose and hood and just think I would prefer a hood that works with the stock (i.e. Tom21 external fill) nose piece. More interested in weight, drainage, air flow, and a couple of handholds than drastically changing the appearance.

tom21

havin fun
ok so I chopped it down, started putting the bondo on. Took the step that goes in the middle of the hood and just dragged it down at the back.

there are problems though.

1 to keep the stock nose I have to leave the lines at the front of the hood, this makes the hood look straight and flat on the side, very similar to the green hood but slightly higher at the pole. so the first roadblock is that the line on the nose is andled up and then the hood is flat, doesnt work. so either I need to remake the nose or raise the hood lines back up some or put some arch in the lines. I have a crappy pic but its not on the ski so its not showing the problem.

2 the pole!!!???? so if you keep a stock pole the hood being low exposes the pole, again I need to remove my fixed steer so I can lay this on the hull and see how bad it looks. using another brand pole or rn pole may cause other weird looks so that is what is giving me fits. It has to look good or why bother? I could just rip the stocker and redo the way it breathes and be done with it.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
That's why I put the Xmetal pole on mine. It looked really weird with a RN pole on it. Especially with the bend at the end of the pole.

And aftermarket pole that is straight right up to the steering mount looks best once you chop all that material out of the hood.

Good luck. I don't miss doing all that chopping/cutting/mocking up. Lots of work for sure.

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
ok so I chopped it down, started putting the bondo on. Took the step that goes in the middle of the hood and just dragged it down at the back.

there are problems though.

1 to keep the stock nose I have to leave the lines at the front of the hood, this makes the hood look straight and flat on the side, very similar to the green hood but slightly higher at the pole. so the first roadblock is that the line on the nose is andled up and then the hood is flat, doesnt work. so either I need to remake the nose or raise the hood lines back up some or put some arch in the lines. I have a crappy pic but its not on the ski so its not showing the problem.

2 the pole!!!???? so if you keep a stock pole the hood being low exposes the pole, again I need to remove my fixed steer so I can lay this on the hull and see how bad it looks. using another brand pole or rn pole may cause other weird looks so that is what is giving me fits. It has to look good or why bother? I could just rip the stocker and redo the way it breathes and be done with it.

Glad you are still working on these!
Lighter weight, handholds, breath good without taking on water, clear a B pipe is all I need. I don't think I would mess with the lines too much unless you really got inspired and came up with something amazingly better.

550headache

tobacco grower
I'm looking for one also. After seeing toms work I would expect nothing less then amazing! Hopefully they will be ready around the first of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk on the farm.....

tom21

havin fun
im going to have to raise it up just a bit or change the lines some to make it work. progress has stalled as I was working furiously on the fx project. I will get back on it.

tom21

havin fun
sorry, I have been overloaded for some time now. its summer and I am struggling to keep up. no time for extra projects. it would also help if I had any idea of how to proceed. I chopped it down and am not happy with the flat look it has. it just looks like a rectangular box with a small step in it. plus the nose will have to be chopped down as well. I want to make a hood for this but I just don't see that I can change it much if at all.

open to some ideas, drawings, photoshop pics etc. unless of course I am the only one not digging the flat box design?

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
It's definitely hard to make it low without altering the nose.

Maybe you would have to design a new nosepiece that's different than stock (lower) to make it work?

I know. More work for you....just what you need lol

Here's a better side profile pic of that last square I built. The hood is just a touch taller than the highest point of the oem nose without a nosepiece on it.

3uresydu.jpg

tom21

havin fun
I like those lines on the hood but I was also trying to make it so it would work with the stock nose. just to try and keep the price down. who wants to buy a hood and a nose or have to take on a remake of front? I don't mind doing a low profile nose too but that will add to the overall cost of the hood.

what I have is basically what you did there but the front lines up with the stock nose which means the hood is almost horizontal on the top or the top and bottom run parallel. looks stupid. no rake to it. guess it will need a nose

hey Bruceski. after removing the stock nose piece did you just glass the rest of the nose to make it look smooth and move the pole bracket forward? I like that low profile look. Just wondering how you went about doing it. Im gunna hold off this summer changing anything but in fall when i get bored waiting for the snow ill need something to do and want to change my SN look arouind a bit.

Also what are you using for from hood hooks?

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I probably have 20-25 hours into remaking that nose. I cut it all out and made my own setup smilie to a RN pole bracket area either hood hooks.

Top Bottom