Surfriding Mag pumps in surf boats

wydopen

onthepipe
Worx 205 . It's not a bad ride , I'm just fine tuning .I want the best of both worlds try to find the mid point..... Loose when I want hook when I need it. Thought about going back to a stock ish grate just to see the differance.

i forget what that one looks like but i dont like them to stick down past the hull..i have an old protec seems to work well...my friends ski is pretty much identical to mine except it has a more aggressive grate and u can tell the difference for sure..not as loose when the ski is flat on the water..

Nice riding Ridethelip ! , Ya the intake grate makes a big difference in the ride on the wave face . I think light AM hulls generally need a bit more shovel for that pull it down feel or they can be a little floaty .

MB,appreciate your interest.As far as the 735 goes.lt is basically a small version to the 865.PV's,duel 46's,just like it's larger brother.l've had that set up to the surf several times this year and liked the bottom that it produced.Seemed to me,it was a good set up.Would you agree that larger is not always better in the surf? The 865 has novi 48's but no tl and l run pump gas.Flatwater it runs fine.Savannah was the first time with the larger engine,so l need to change some things around to see if l can come up with a better combo.

l wonder the same thing about a stock pump and will bring it to the beach the next time l go.Be interested to read your opinion!

Sometimes its just getting use to a lil more torque in the surf that is required especially if you dont ride surf very often.Ive ridden a few 865s in the surf and thought they were fine.Has alot to do with how linear you can get the curve with them,bpipe water settings,timing,compression.. Is your sf easily flatwater flipable with the 865 like you have it currently setup?

Its all about the surf!
Not to get off topic here but I have a question for Master Blaster about his extra wear ring pump. Did having the pump set back and sticking out the back another 3" make it (OEM length SJ) handle any looser, like a shortened hull?

Last edited:
227,The hull I was using was super heavy reinforced sj and was using a worx 205 with a protec slightly longer ride plate,It didnt loosen the rear up much other than very low speed slipping down wave faces making turns though.It did make the steering more responsive and it was a beast in the river,on throttle it would stick to the water like glue in the corners and carve like you wouldnt believe even in small chop.Id say white water hookup and high speed cornering were the most notable changes with that setup.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Sometimes its just getting use to a lil more torque in the surf that is required especially if you dont ride surf very often.Ive ridden a few 865s in the surf and thought they were fine.Has alot to do with how linear you can get the curve with them,bpipe water settings,timing,compression.. Is your sf easily flatwater flipable with the 865 like you have it currently setup?

That could be some of it,just getting used to more power.Lets ask the Sport, (You listening Kev!) he rode my ski while at savannah.ScottS and WAB rode it too..He said it felt fine,but then that was his first time on the freak. (You didn't go back to camp this weekend,did you gentile!)

"nozzle swap!"

Top Bottom