Major Couch repair

I am going to buy a stx15f tomorrow for cheap and i need to know what to look for. Any input? do i compression check? the hull is damaged but he claims The ski runs fine. What main things do i look for and what do i avoid? Can four strokes be started on land?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Boris

The Good Old Days
It's just like any other motor.
Look for signs of water damage, check the oil for contamination, have the guy pull out all the spark plugs (there have been cases of broken plugs due to corrosion) and listen for any noises in the motor.
Those are good motors and last for a lot of hours but just like anything mechanical, an idiot can kill it.
And yes, the 4 stroke barges can run out of the water.

It's just like any other motor.
Look for signs of water damage, check the oil for contamination, have the guy pull out all the spark plugs (there have been cases of broken plugs due to corrosion) and listen for any noises in the motor.
Those are good motors and last for a lot of hours but just like anything mechanical, an idiot can kill it.

I apprieciate it boris. How do i check the oil for contamination?

any other tips out there?

Boris

The Good Old Days
Pull the dip stick and look at the condition of the oil. It should be clear and light in color without any nasty smells. If you see milk than you know there's water there somewhere.

vitaly

Анархия - мать порядка!
For a while... the rule of thumb is about 30 second or until you can't hold your hand on the engine head anymore.

Make sure all the water hoses are tight, I've seen a few 15f that were sunken because of the lose hoses from the factory, don't remember the year when that was happening.

Also...when doing compression on a 4 stroke ski it is a MUST that you hold the throttle wide open. If not it will not get enough air and readings will be very low. Or at least thats how it is on 4 stroke outboards

wow..looks bad..i hope you didnt pay much for the ski

Thats what im thinking.

I seriously think that hull is junk. Unless repaired correctly, your repair work could easily tear out...if a big enough chunk breaks loose it could act as a brake and slow you down or throw you off....not to mention it would then sink.

Thats what im thinking.

I seriously think that hull is junk. Unless repaired correctly, your repair work could easily tear out...if a big enough chunk breaks loose it could act as a brake and slow you down or throw you off....not to mention it would then sink.

i went in knowing that if the hull was a total loss i could still part it. i'm going to clean up the wound by cutting off what ever is delaminated. The ski runs fine and still pulls hard. I'll post some more pics tonight or tomorrow.

The price of the ski is not to be questioned! :bananajump:

Jet Set Performance

I just wanna ride!
That's just a minor cosmetic blemish, throw some duct tape over it & ride the snot outta it! LOL! Seriously, the engine looks to be super clean, and that damage should be able to be repaired. Good luck with it, sounds like you got a killer deal.

Every time i wander away from this site i realize that there isn't a better site for help than x-h2o.com. the answers may come later but the nicer people are well worth the wait. Thank YOU for the motivation!

Top Bottom