Market correction on ski prices?

HarryConnolly

Site Supporter
Will ski pricing go back to pre covid? I feel like I keep looking at skis in the 4-12k range that pre covid sold for 2500-5k

Will a market correction happen? Are ski parts and this market so small that by the time donor skis like wave raiders don’t exist everything goes sky high price wise? It seems like that’s how the AM hull market operates right now. IE Tem doesn’t make boats anymore but the super freak name still holds water, no pun intended

Ski pricing is licoriceed, I might just go spend 24k at xscream if someone doesn’t help me understand this god forsaken market

Tough to say. New stuff is a lot more expensive, not making the old stuff anymore. Macro economics will play a larger role on determining prices in the coming years. The jet ski market has gotten smaller, fewer companies in it, fewer new things to buy, fewer new people into the sport I'd say.

Also, the price listed doesn't always equal the price it sells for, and anything well priced will always sell fast. So don't base your price on the expensive things you see out there.

Myself

manic mechanic
Skis in my area HAVE come back down some........ BUT, there are still LOTS of good running older 2 strokes around here. I regularly bill out $400-$800 on 90's skis fuel system rehab. I feel like it's also very location dependant. For instance, an average condition 2005 Seadoo GTX or Yamaha VX in my area will sell for 4-5k. I guess it's because there are still so many nice 2 strokes so it keeps the prices up. 12-18 months ago the prices were probably 1k higher.
As far as donors, I can buy all the running Waverunner 3, Raider or Venture 700 skis you want for $1500. I sold a pretty clean purple hull Raider that I just did a new topend on early last year for $1400 on a trailer!

Will ski pricing go back to pre covid? I feel like I keep looking at skis in the 4-12k range that pre covid sold for 2500-5k
I sold my 2013 SJ in 2019 for $5500. I bought it new and was happy to get that much for a 6 yr old ski. Only had about 40hrs on it, pretty much gave it away, and guys were still trying to beat me up on price. Now my kids want to get into it and prices are still pretty crazy so I‘m throwing together a well abused SN with some left over parts I had just to have something for them to learn on.

E350

Site Supporter
When the Democrat Biden Administration with the assistance of the uni-party RINO Republicans prints more and more dollars, the buying power (i.e., the "value") of each dollar correspondingly decreases.

The price of skis does not increase.

Rather, the value of the dollars used to buy a ski decreases.

It is not "price inflation."

It is "dollar devaluation."

Now it takes more dollars to buy the same ski. Because each dollar is worth less.

Thus, "prices" of skis will never go down to prepandemic.

The pandemic did not make the value of the dollar decrease. The printing of money caused the value of the dollar to decrease. Pandemic was an excuse to print money. Ukraine is an excuse to print more money (much of which is funding covert operations of the CIA against the U.S. -- there is no Inspector General for the money spent on Ukraine, there is no accounting for a single dollar spent on Ukraine -- for a reason.)

However, by "drill baby drill" Trump can reduce the expense of almost everything sold in the U.S., by lowering the cost of oil which is included in the cost to produce and ship most items in the U.S.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
You got to stay on top of searching and have cash ready. When you come across a great deal jump on it. You dont have time to tire kick.

Prices overall in the high rockies are starting to trend down. I'd say, speculatively around 25% or more from peak covid pricing. Still not back to pre 2019 prices and we likely never will be with the change in the value of a dollar. One thing is for sure, the majority of listing's are no longer "no lowballers, I know what I got" BS. Thank God for that.

The best deals are hard fought for these days, usually on Craigslist and labeled incorrectly ("Jesski", "wave runer", etc). Sheeplebook Marketplace yields deals too but the audience of potential scalpers/flippers is like a school of sharks doing backflips for chum when something hits the listing's.

I've been patiently waiting for a deal on a RN hull to pop up that's not completely hullested but I feel we're starting to witness the dying days of surplus 2 stroke parts for sale at a good deal.

Last edited:

holygoat

Site Supporter
Would be nice if we could just answer the question without dragging politics into it immediately.

I've seen stock ski prices come down in the last 6 mos, but that depends on what you're after. Regarding built AM skis I just don't think there's the market to bring the price down. Everything is such low volume and so expensive to make nowadays, I can't see prices coming down unless the economy takes some massive correction.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I have seen prices dip here as well, I only wish I could have capitalized on the used market while it was on the upswing , all politics aside E350 does offer a really good explanation of what actually happened

Last edited:
Would be nice if we could just answer the question without dragging politics into it immediately.

I've seen stock ski prices come down in the last 6 mos, but that depends on what you're after. Regarding built AM skis I just don't think there's the market to bring the price down. Everything is such low volume and so expensive to make nowadays, I can't see prices coming down unless the economy takes some massive correction.
There's a couple guys on here that its basically their entire personality to be politically edgy (with sometimes extreme views, I guess not the case here at least). Just check out the bicentennial club section.

To the main question, I have been wondering the same thing about why prices are barely budging sometimes. I barely sold a lites ready 2014 SJ pre-covid for $5800. That same ski is advertised at over 9 now.

There's a couple guys on here that its basically their entire personality to be politically edgy (with sometimes extreme views, I guess not the case here at least). Just check out the bicentennial club section.

To the main question, I have been wondering the same thing about why prices are barely budging sometimes. I barely sold a lites ready 2014 SJ pre-covid for $5800. That same ski is advertised at over 9 now.
The other aspect of the newer 2 strokes maintaining their value or higher than pre covid is that they're just not being made anymore. No more supply in the market besides used ones and we all know they're better than the 4 strokes.

Top Bottom