Other Michigan Registration change!

Hey Guys,

Just got back from the SOS and they say you cannot have just a bill of sale to get your watercraft registered and titled. Has anyone found a way around this yet? I bought 2 stands up at the end of last summer and waited until April to get them registered, and then I went in their today and they told me that they changed this rule a month ago.

I have bills of sale between me and the sellers, but nothing else.

Thanks

i know in Tennessee and other non title states you need current reg from the previous owner along with a BOS

try a different DMV maybe a smaller town. i know here in MN the large offices are a pain my little local one is real simple just a BOS even if its not in their name, registers just fine.

jahimmelspach

Having A Blast
this is not good news, i have been putting off getting mine registered all winter and all i have is a bill of sale from an out of state seller. guess we will see what happens when i go to the canton office.

try a different DMV maybe a smaller town. i know here in MN the large offices are a pain my little local one is real simple just a BOS even if its not in their name, registers just fine.

How long ago did you do this? Perhaps they have changed yours too. That is how it used to be in Michigan but I "guess" they "changed" it about a month ago. I was in a decently small town when I tried, but I might just have to make my rounds to all the offices before I find one that will.

This happened to me with my 750sxi build, I picked up a hull in WI that a guy bought from an auction...long story short I got a bill of sale with the hull thinking all is well and got to work on it...about 4-5 months later went to dmv to register it and they said it was still titled to another owner (who they told me to guess? his name...dont know how the hell im supposed to do that but whatever)...contacted the MN dnr who contacted the title holder and said he did sell it to an auction but lost the title and said he would contact me and get me the title as long as I payed for everything which I agreed...two months later and multiple dnr calls/letters later the dnr wouldnt help anymore and said it was out of their hands, I considered the title a lost title and that the owner wants nothing to do with it or me so I legally registered it in WI and answered every question truthfully also supplying info about the owner in WI who I got the bill of sale from...got my registration and ski is now mine... I can now register it in MN if I want but dont care, WI is close enough haha

How long ago did you do this? Perhaps they have changed yours too. That is how it used to be in Michigan but I "guess" they "changed" it about a month ago. I was in a decently small town when I tried, but I might just have to make my rounds to all the offices before I find one that will.

this was done a few weeks ago. but my local office has always been nice about this stuff, even registered without even a bill of sale before no problem.

Last edited:

Fro Diesel

creative control
Got the Fx1 registered in Michigan last week with a noterized bill of sale from nj and a copy of his registration showing he did own it at one time. No issues.

Hope you get this solved ASAP.

sent from Fro Diesel using tapatalk.

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
Majorpain, this is nothing new in MI. We have needed the previous owners signed title to transfer ownership for many years (pwc/boats already titled in MI). Transferring skis from outside MI is a different story. MI reverts to the records required by the state the machine is coming from.

Hypothetically speaking, what if the boat was never registered? I know the chances of this are very small, but the DMV would have to look up the HIN numbers would they not? If they can't find any previous owners, wouldn't they allow me to register and title the boat with a BOS then?

Im a little confused with how they operate, but im sure thats normal. I went to them before I purchased the skis with the HIN numbers and asked them if they could look them up to see if they were stolen. They told me to bring a bill and sale and the HIN numbers as well as MC numbers if they had them.

Fro Diesel

creative control
I have a catamaran sail boat that was never registered. Never been a problem. As it has no motor. In Michigan you can get away with some crazy stuff. I don't see a problem. Leave your local frauds. Get to a sec of state that is out of your county.

sent from Fro Diesel using tapatalk.

Well went to a different office today and after a few hours they were able to hand me my titles with just the bill of sale. They had to send the HIN # to lansing and get them approved, but they came back clean and here they are. No hassle.

Attachments

• 2012-04-10_15-10-01_400.jpg
    2012-04-10_15-10-01_400.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom