Mickey Thompson Tires? MTZ vs ATZ

Anyone running Mickey Thompson tires on their truck? I am thinking about the MTZ but not sure. Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

Last edited:
try nitto trail grapplers m/t. they are nice tires and wear awesome. I never had mickeys.....

Cool, thanks for the input. I will look into them. I have heard good things about the Mickeys for on/off road. I really like the look of the MTZ, just don't know how well they are in icy conditions.

Micky Thompson and nittos both wear very fast if you drive mostly highway but have great hookup offroading

If you just want a good looking mt that has sone good hookup off roading that has good life on and off road try the goodyear wrangler m.t we love ours and were not goodyear fans

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
My Nitto terragrapplers have last longer than any tire I've ever tried. They're quiet on the highway and work very well in the Appalachians. I'll buy another set when mine wear out.

chadman154

#Itsonlymoney !!!!!
My Nitto terragrapplers have last longer than any tire I've ever tried. They're quiet on the highway and work very well in the Appalachians. I'll buy another set when mine wear out.

I had terra's before my trails's. Terras are alot quieter, but the trails look BA. Also the trails throw up a lot of rocks on the gravel roads

most of your off road tires through up a lot of stuff. im running goodrich mudterrians on my truck. i love them. i dont know much about the ice part since im in cali! my buddy is running mickey thomspons mtz on his f 150. they are handling pretty well. there not to loud and they seem to be wearing quit nicely, he has almost 20,000 miles on them.

I have Mickey Thompson ATZ Radial Plus tires on my suv... probably about 60,000 miles on them now and I expect them to last me another 20,000 or so. They are the quietest AT tire I have ever had and they handle great in the snow,rain, gravel, dirt.... but not so much in the mud. Mickey T's arent cheap, but I've owned BFG A/T's, Procomp A/T's and Nitto TG's and I've been the happiest with my current setup.

i run the toyo open country m/t on my truck and i love them. they seem to wear slow compared to the nitto trail grapplers. we have the mickey tompson mt on our buggy and they dont get chewd up in the rocks like the bfg did

Jp79

Building Brawlers
I run the ATZ on my diesel n love them, I do rotate every 3,000 and watch the pressure. That are wearing great.
I also am on my second set of Nitto Tera grapplers and they too have been a very good tire, sand, dirt trail and on the highway. I have stayed out of the heavy mud with them tho.

I don't think you can go wrong with the ATZ

jahimmelspach

Having A Blast
When it was time to get new tires for my 05 ram I did the same shopping.
Ended up with Cooper Zeon LTZ.
275/60/20
Sold the truck after I put nearly 20k on the tires and they still had a good amount of life in them.
Not to expensive
Quiet on the highway
Look great
Had good grip in snow and dirt
Check them out
Joe

Currently running the Nitto Trail Grapplers. Already put 40,000 on them and they can probably go another 5 easily. Looks great, very reliable

It depends on what you want. The ATZ is a great looking road tire. Buddy ran them on his Dmax. However he did very little offroading.

I wheel my truck a lot, so I need a tire that performs well. While my truck was a daily I ran Toyo MT, I got almost 40k out of them on a Crew Cab 2500. Which is pretty good. I also like the way they look.
l_4e870c7b9a484429be1bd16dd07a2964.jpg

Now I have a work truck I am running a Mud Grappler. Does not wear as good, but pulls a lot harder. Changes the look of the truck a lot.
l_614b8f81737a47c8a96d1f971284d457.jpg

My next tire will be an Interco. I really only drive my truck on the weekends out and to wheel so do not care about tire wear.

Thanks for all the good feedback and all the general knowledge on tires. I am weighing on the the Toyo Open Country tires, appreciate the feedback and thanks again for the help!

I ended up going with the Falken Wild Peak AT's, damn they hook up good in the snow (loving the side bite). No more abs problems on the ice either, but it is a bit slick on the ice in 2 wheel at times. They perform excellent in the front end and with braking, not a bad tire for the cash imo. I ended up getting them for $137 a tire from a distributor, so I couldn't pass that up.

Top Bottom