Modding a 300SX...

gimmick

sports a beater 550
...to fit in a trash can!!
300SX.JPG

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
I know they suck, but one of the 300sx skis I am parting out had a lot of aftermarket parts on it and from what my uncle told me, when it was running it was faster than a stock 650sx. I know thats not saying much, but pretty cool. It had a kerker dry pipe, supertrap water box, and the cylinder was ported and over bored.

gimmick

sports a beater 550
I know they suck, but one of the 300sx skis I am parting out had a lot of aftermarket parts on it and from what my uncle told me, when it was running it was faster than a stock 650sx. I know thats not saying much, but pretty cool. It had a kerker dry pipe, supertrap water box, and the cylinder was ported and over bored.

Yeah man. Quite often I hear people saying they suck, they're slow, they can't turn, blah blah - which is mostly true. But I took this joker out with a prop from hell and a just about non existant wear ring. Suprisingly it got me on a plane faster than a stock 550. Granted, top speed was a lot less. Overall, I was suprised at the performance of the little 1-banger.
prop.jpg

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
How sad. I have a friend who's 8 year old daughter has a 300sx. She loves it, perfect for a youngin. And I think she's actually aloud to ride it legally. The age limit for opperating watercraft in CA applies to motorized watercraft over a certain HP rating.

kawasakit2me

Hooked on the Jamz
How sad. I have a friend who's 8 year old daughter has a 300sx. She loves it, perfect for a youngin. And I think she's actually aloud to ride it legally. The age limit for opperating watercraft in CA applies to motorized watercraft over a certain HP rating.

My thoughts exactly! Been hoping to happen across a 300 for my 10 yr old. She likes to ride but is afraid of my power ( :cheer: )

Will have to look into that HP rating law! Didn't know that!:biggthumpup:

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
From boat-ed.com
California law requires a person to be 16 years of age or older to legally operate a vessel powered by a motor of 15 horsepower or more, including personal watercraft (PWCs).

I have no idea what the HP rating of a 300sx is though.

gimmick

sports a beater 550
If you've ever been to a drag strip and heard a raced out rotary engine, you've heard something similar to a 300. As per nada.com, the 300 has 30hp. link

I love my 300SX. It was given to me by a customer with a Toyota Supra (we build MR2's at my shop) as a thank-you for some of the fabrication work we did for him. I cleaned it up, fixed the starter (temporarily) and took it out. It takes a while to plane out (I'm 180lbs) but it's a ton of fun. It takes some skill to ride it. If you lean too far you can't power it back up like a SuperJet. It's weak enough that you just leave it floored the ENTIRE TIME. If you do manage to catch some air (and I have) it will basically come to a complete halt when it lands.

Mine has a ride plate and intake scoop. I just installed a GroupK sleeper cylinder, .5mm overbore piston, milled head and a West Coast spark arrester. I took it out yesterday and found out the starter was broken (again, the brushes get rusty)) and that my hull was cracked :-(

We fiberglassed the hull today and the exhaust and water box I bought from Oxnard should be here tomorrow, so maybe I'll get to try it out tomorrow night.

I see a bunch of 300 haters, but most of them have never ridden one. They aren't as bad as everyone claims. Don't get me wrong, I'd hate for it to be my only ski, but as a trainer or a loaner ski it's AWESOME. I hope the mods don't ruin that, I'm just hoping it will be a little more fun.

Aaron

Man I am so upset that this isn't a build up thread....I am building a "project ski" I want to chop one down to make it smaller and narrower so that it would be the right size for my boy when he learns to stand on his own. I fugure if he can drive the hopped up bigfoot electric truck around the yard without hitting the cars then it is time for him to start riding a stand up.

If my math is correct which it could be way off but this sounds good. I am shooting for a ski a little shorter than 5 foot long weighing in at about 100 pounds dry with 30 horse power would be about the same power/weight/size ratio as me on my superjet. They make tiny motorcycles for kids but no skis so I am going to build one.

Thanks again Yah-ki for the ski.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom