Super Jet Motor barely rolls over, wont start

We are still working on my buddy's '90SN. Prior to removing the motor, we disconnected it from the midshaft and rolled it over. It was pumping water out about 15' in the air. We then removed the motor and dumped it out. Apparently the exhaust still had water in it and at some point my buddy tilted the ski clockwise and dumped the exhaust water into the cylinders.

We cleaned everything up and re-installed the motor. With a fresh battery, the motor rolls over very slowly and seemed weak. It sounds like a dead battery, but it isn't.

My next step is to check the cables and starter. There was a good amount of corrosion on the starter housing. Could a bad cable or dying starter cause the symptoms we are having? I will post pics once I get them.

Any other suggestions on where to look?

yes bad cable or starter could cause those problems...

first off..check the ground connection on the battery, sometimes its just loose...

try and roll the engine over for a few seconds then feel the cables.....sometimes they will get hot because of the resistance

could also be crusty crank bearings...how long was it underwater?

No idea how long water was in it. There wasnt much. The starter corrosion is pretty bad, hoping it`s that simple, but gonna hve to prepare for the worst. Is the 650 worth rebuilding?

Top Bottom