MSD stock replacement coils anyone used them???

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
Has anyone used their stock replacement coils for the 701&650 yamaha's/750 kawis???
I need a new coil and the msd's are $85 vs. oem which is more. Msd's site says it has improved spark blah blah blah, but if its gonna take a ******** on me I don't want anything to do with it. Thanx

Ryan

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
I have never heard a good thing about them either.

what is wrong with your current coil?
did you see the current thread here about replaceing the wires?

it seems the wires are almost always the problem, the coils them selves CAN go bad, but I think its fairly uncommon.

maybe you could get out even cheaper?

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
Just found oem coils on parker for $50. I was getting an open reading across my wires. I tried getting out the rubber but ended up cracking the casing. They were epoxied in almost all the way down. It tested well when I stuck some other wire down till it hit the spike. When They say you will fry a cdi by not gounding the plugs is that the brain or the coil???

F

Freestyleriverrat

I hear that from everyone......they are crap. Allot of the OEM stuff is allot better than aftermarket, especially when it comes to electrical.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
most likely talking about the CDI

Just found oem coils on parker for $50. I was getting an open reading across my wires. I tried getting out the rubber but ended up cracking the casing. They were epoxied in almost all the way down. It tested well when I stuck some other wire down till it hit the spike. When They say you will fry a cdi by not gounding the plugs is that the brain or the coil???

My friend has one that he has put 3 hard seasons on. I told him to stick with oem and by buying that he would be sorry. :pat: looks like I have been wrong to date.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
what?

im gettng confused here.

he asked about frying something when cranking the engine without the plugs grounded.
I responded with the CDI, meaning the BRAIN, I think is the most likely to be damaged, although the coil wont like it much either.

I completely agree with you that the OEM stuff is almost always more durable, and has better longevity.

you have to quantify "better than aftermarket" though, I would NOT conceded that an OEM CDI is "better" than a MSD Enhancer.

I will say that it probably has a better reliability factor, all things being considered though.

well, I have heard that OEM CDI's, coils and starters are better than aftermarket.

keefer

T1
OEM stock coil wires are replaceable, I have done it, as most of the time it is the wires being broken near the coil housing or being cut back too short. I ran a MSD coil for 7 or 8 years with no problems except for the usual having to trim the wires back from time to time. The wires are not replaceable in the MSD unit however. The OEM coild secondary reads around 4500 ohms where the MSD stock improved coil reads around 2000 ohms. They are supposed to produce 30kv where I think the OEM is around 20kv. I would have the OEM rewired rather than spend money on a new one. There is a local shop near me that can do this if you are interested. PM me if you want more info

Top Bottom