MSD TL Issues.

Had the X-2 up at Pismo this last weekend. First trip since the rebuild. Put her in the water, and she seemed to be running on one cylinder. Pull her in, wiggle the plug wires and BAM! She is back! Ran really good right up to the point where I flooded her. Not too bad, had the bildge running but she did have some water in her. Bring her in and start the dewatering. Over the corurse of an hour or so, I lost spark. A couple of times she would send a spark across the gap, but for the most part nothing. Fast forward to today. Start the elimination process. Checked all my connections, good. Battery, good. Coil, maybe. Orange wire from MSD TL to coil is hot only once in a while. no real pattern. Wiggle wires recheck connections all are good. Led on box flashes, so i dont think it is my trigger. So i am down to two things. 1. coil. 2. msd box. any help or similar experince from anyone out there?

And, as always the stock 550 ran like a champ.

Winter X2

Winter X2
Analog or digital?

if digital...
Make sure everything is grounded correctly. The coils need to be grounded to the block. VERY IMPORTANT!

If the light on your msd box is blinking more then 1 time per second, your timing is off. Did you set your timing?

I sheared off the key on the crank and the flywheel spun... Lost all timing and had to replace the key. Ran great before that, wouldn't start after that. You will get spark every once in a while because the trigger is hitting the magnet.

Hope this helps.. I just went through a month of total loss nightmares, so I have tried almost everything. Def worth it when it runs!!:banghead::banghead:

Analog, old system, pn 4270. After checking and rechecking everything, I am still getting intermitted power to the orange wire. I think my brain is screwed up. Calling MSD tech now. Thank you for the reply. My coil is grounded with just the black wire from the brain. I have not changed any wiring, and has run great before. But I did try to run another ground, just in case.

Just got off the phone with tech. They said orange wire will not have 12 volts. Should be a lot higher. Might be why digital meter does not read. Well .... still screwed! Got the numbers on the coil, gonna go out and check it. Woo hoo.... I forgot how fun this hobby is! Anybody want to trade a built 650 for a stock 750 motor?

Your MSD brain got moisture in it when you swamped the ski. If not under warranty, bake it on the stove or in an oven, then grease it up, there are threads on this

Last edited:

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
If you are using msd coils that is the problem.................too much energy for the surf....they arc everywhere.

I went to a set of OEM Kawi coils and it didnt miss a beat.............still plenty of power but they dont arc to ground like the MSDs....

Grounds and connections are critical on a TL boat as well

If you are using msd coils that is the problem.................too much energy for the surf....they arc everywhere.

I went to a set of OEM Kawi coils and it didnt miss a beat.............still plenty of power but they dont arc to ground like the MSDs....

Grounds and connections are critical on a TL boat as well

I like getting zapped threw the bars. Keeps you on your toes.. lol

Ok in the oven it goes! 175 for an hour or so..or should i shear it first, then let it slow cook, or just low and slow?

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
Looks like I missed some important details in your original post.....sorry to jump to conclusions.

The Kawi coils made a world of difference on my ski............It would miss terribly with the stock msd coils............

Good luck with the baking.........

Winter X2

Winter X2
Call Bret kugler at MSD.. He will help you. They don't sell the msd 4270 brains anymore. I threw mine in the trash can and got a digital. unfortunately, thats your best bet.

Call Bret kugler at MSD.. He will help you. They don't sell the msd 4270 brains anymore. I threw mine in the trash can and got a digital. unfortunately, thats your best bet.

I really do not have the money for a new brain.
I have been playing out the different options in my head.

1. Sell motor, MRD injection. Buy a used 750 with stock electrics

2. Buy used stock electrics, change flywheel, and hope she runs good.

3. Find a used brain and roll the dice.

Anybody have any other options?

Did i mention my stock 550 ran like a top! A slow top, but still a top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom