Other MSD TL Salt Water ready?

Been asking around, and pretty sure I have my answer. But wanted to hear your opinion.
Bought a new ski with a TL ignition. Im taking it to Surf Slam in sept. Was wondering how resistant that Brain box is?
Any way to make it "surf ready" ?

Heres a pic of the set-up
3 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Christian_83

Xscream
Owen the brain is potted, wich should make it somehow resistant to water, but you are better off in a sealed container/box.
I made my own, with a waterproof Junction box, with a clear lid.
But if you should dicide to go, as it is now. I would spray the brain with silicone spray before. And clean everything off with fresh water and spray it with Maxima clear coat or similiar (as usual :)
diagram.jpg

A well setup T/L will last for salt riding, Its not as if its the brain fails in the salt. Usually the poor backyard workmanship setting up the system is what fails plugs/connectors/solders/switches etc. Silicone spray & dielectric grease should be done regardless.

Tanman

Jus' keep er' pinned
Dude you will regret frying your $800 ignition for not having it in a sealed box, the RRP box is well worth the money. Power Factor Products does a SUPER clean professional install doing all your electrical wiring in the box and should have boxed in stock and his is basically guaranteed not to leak, thats what we run in all our Rickters. TC Freeride can get them for you as well http://www.tcfreeride.com/

I know people who have fried the MSD ignition box even with dielectric silicone on it and I wouldt run my expensive TL without a box.

Ive been running MSD T/L for 10+ years on various ski's from old 550 kawasaki's to the latest superjets and A/M hulls and from analogue to single channel digital and the current multi channel digital...Never have I run them in a box and in that time I have had 2 brains poop themselves, one analogue that was probably close to 20yrs old and one brand new 43251 multi channel that was sent back and confirmed faulty by MSD and replaced under warrenty.

If wired correctly, with weather pack or deutsch connectors on EVERYTHING, dont use a switch (waterproof or not) for your on/off, use a single pin weatherpack as your switch, use only the MSD connectors supplied in the kit or dual wall heatshrink on all your other connections, and use a little dielectric if you feel the need and make sure absolutely NOTHING can short out, you should have years of trouble free service from your MSD T/L in salt water.

Make sure you wash it down with a little fresh water when you get back and cover the whole setup with CRC, Inox, WD40 or whatever your favourite flavour is, then go have a beer and relax knowing it will be ready to go when you push the start button next time. The biggest killer i've seen with MSD's is poor wiring and shorts. (which usually come about from the poor wiring!)

Top Bottom