Other MSD Total Loss - What's up with start retard? Who's good at equations?

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
The used MSD TL I purchased is working awesome. My question is, with my ignition firing at exactly 20* when I'm cranking the motor on the starter, (Verified with a timing light) what is my overall static timing? I currently have no clue.

As per the manual:

"START RETARD
This switch produces approximately 20° (with one magnet flywheels) of timing retard for easier
starting."

Approximately? Are we talking +/- .01° approximately? Or +/- 2° approximately? I hate vague manuals. Also, since my ignition is firing at 20°, and the manual says it produces 20° of retard, is it 20° of retard from my static timing?

My settings:
Max SPEED RETARD = 17°
Rev Limit = 9000
Retard Begin = 5000
Max Timing = -7°
Start Retard = On

My best guess, my static timing is 40°. The max timing of -7° puts me at a max timing of 33°. I'm starting at 20° since 40° - 20° = 20°.

Your static timing is set by using the led light on the brain box that indicates when the pick up is being triggered by the magnets in the flywheel when rotating the engine by hand. mark top dead center on the front of the cases by using a dial indicator to find TDC and then flip the switch on the box that activates the led on the brain box and see where the static timing is set by noting the orientation of the TDC Mark in relation to the sticker with degree numbers on your flywheel....that is your static timing, and you can adjust it by rotating the pick up plate. 40* is way too much static timing, you'll want to be closer to 30* if your running pump gas

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
My LED doesn't work. The ignition came off a limited superjet from a trusted seller. The flywheel has timing marks on it and I verified TDC on the flywheel was actually TDC. The flywheel cover has a protruding point that points to the TDC timing mark when the 1st piston is at TDC. The RAD setup makes things super easy. I used this with a timing light to find out that the motor is firing at 20° BTDC when starting.

My point is, based on the fact my ignition fires at 20° when starting, I should be able to determine my static timing since my settings of the ignition are known. But since I can't interpret "This switch produces approximately 20° of timing retard", I'm lost.

Byeai

"Cheetos-Man"
I think it's where when skis run 30 degrees advance the start can be hard so it retards the timing to get the ski started then run your regular advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You should be able to check with a timing light when running as it doesn't start to retard the timing until 5000rpm.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom