MSD weak spark

I have an MSD enhanser on my SJ but mine only sparks when i let go of the start switch. it ran perfect until i filled up the engine bay with salt water up to the carbs

-I have pulled the boots back, stripped some rubber to get fresh wires and cut them then re attached them but still the the same thing: only sparks when i let go of the start button
-I also unhooked the black and white connector to the start stop switch and still the same thing happens: only sparks when i let go of the start button
-I tried switching the br8es plugs from my working 800 sxr into the superjet but it does the same thing.
- I opened the ebox and there were only a couple of drops of water in it.
- I have used my fluke multimeter and put the continuity tester on and put one lead onto the negative battery terminal and then one lead onto my engine block and it reads continuity. i also put the ohm setting on and its jumps from 100 somthing to OL

@Harbor since mine used to run good with the MSD as is... why would my correcly wired MSD enhanser cause it to spark when releasing the start button?

Good question.... You might pull the stator cover and look and see if it's filled with salt water

My sparkplugs sparkle just at the moment when I press the start button and when the release. Reversing the white wires does not change anything. With the original unit instead it's all right. Grounding is ok, generator is ok. I do not understand .....

But @Harbor I don't want to pull it. I have sunk this thing a couple times before in freshwater and its ran fine ever since blowing the water out of the cylinders. I've never pulled the stator cover off cuz the factory seal looks amazing on it. What other options can you give me lol

I tried to pull the plug because I thought there was a touch on the stop button but nothing changes.
I live in Italy. I bought the cdi from JEGS USA through ebay. I'll have to contact them?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Before you do, can you post a picture of how you have the power connected for the MSD?

Have you tried it without the inline fuse holder? Sometimes they can get corroded or just plain loose inside and not make proper connection.

I also tried to bypass the fuse but nothing changes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 25
We have already discussed the charge coil which is part of the stator, you seemed to get a very good reading of 550 ohm. There is one other critical component on the stator: it's the (small) pulser coil. The wire from that coil is spliced into the harness about 20mm away (it is under the flywheel), it has been known to break at that point (rare). You may check for continuity with your meter by unplugging the white with red stripe wire which comes from the stator. This wire to ground should be about 14.5 ohm.
Removing the flywheel for inspection would not be a bad idea, the starter drive (bendix) has been known to shed parts as it ages, damaging the stator by cutting into it. It is of course possible that the MSD Enhancer has a problem, anything electronic can fail, I just have never seen one "bad" out of the box.

Thank you very much for reply.
I just assembled the new engine and the bendix is good. I had checked to eye all the stator before assembling it'll look again. I'll check the resistance of the pickup though I do not have problems because the stock unit works well.
I contacted JEGS performance and say they have turned the question to msd, their response is that most likely it is a defect of the unit. Only that annoys me a lot having to return in US and pay shipping and customs (almost $ 200 for everything) ..... so I hope to find a solution.
I'm really unlucky ...

I have heard of cases- not personally experienced that- that customers had returned "defective" units to MSD , only to have them returned labeled " nothing wrong". That would be bad, $200 bad. I wish you would have access to another ski and try this unit in it.
France, Germany , England for example have their own native jetski websites. Would be nice if you have one in your country and you could post and see if any friendly skis nearby.

I got a new msd today but the problem is the same ... I did all the electrical controls and all seems ok.
I do not know what to do, I'll try to replace the coil....

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Did everything work good when the stock one was in? Did you try putting the stocker back in and see if everything will work?

Yours is new, but my older msd failed. I put the stocker back in and went riding.

Strange.... I have mine apart right now, the longer white wire off the msd goes to the white/red wire, your pics show that correct. Your red wire from msd, is it wired to a B+ battery cable and not the b+ starter feed ? Hard to tell in pics..

Looks like from wiring schematic you could try disconnecting the short white wire from enhancer and possibly eliminate a stop switch malfunction. Test with plugs removed so it doesn't start.

Here's a few pics on testing stator.

Have you reinstalled the stock cdi lately to see if it still works or did the stock cdi work when last apart before your build ?

Defiantly a strange situation.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Top Bottom