My 2007/2008 Freeride SXR revamp aka shortening hull.

Kawi 800

06' SXR
Hey SXR i know in your PWCTday thread you talked about getting your stack fly wheel lightened, i know you have that nice jetnetics one but did you ever lighten the stock one? and what impeller are you running?

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
How hard was it to dig out the foam up in the footholds...did you cut out anything else except for the back of the hull?...

I'll bet I need to refoam...not sure. Damn, I didn't think that styrofoam held water. My foam around my gastank is still fine.

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
Hey SXR i know in your PWCTday thread you talked about getting your stack fly wheel lightened, i know you have that nice jetnetics one but did you ever lighten the stock one? and what impeller are you running?

I didn't get it lightened, like most of the things I want to do I usually run out of money haha

I'm running a cutback SOLAS 13-22 that I got from Kevin @ legdrag, like it alot.

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
How hard was it to dig out the foam up in the footholds...did you cut out anything else except for the back of the hull?...

I'll bet I need to refoam...not sure. Damn, I didn't think that styrofoam held water. My foam around my gastank is still fine.

The styrofoam doesn't hold much, but all of mine was damp, even the stuff up by the exhaust.

Its a bitch to get started at digging it you but once you get some out you can start pulling out big styrofoam chunks especially with the big ass holes in the back.

I am sure most of my water came from leaks in the bulk head. The tubes are sealed up extremely well where they come out by the pump but there isn't much for sealing on the bulk head. Also, I never closed off the hole in the bulk head behind the stock bilge that went out to the drainplug:banghead:so basically the water just filled up my hull and had no where to go but soaking the foam.

heres a pic of the exhaust side after I took out most of it..

0201081937b.jpg

Last edited:

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
Another update I foamed (2lb US Comp) it over the weekend at my dads office!! Worked out preety nicely in the back...but in the second picture you can see that the foam came through in a few places on the bulk head. I think its pretty funny how alot of it came out from where the factory glue is! (look by the bilge)

IMG_5979.jpg

IMG_5989.jpg

Last edited:

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
Here is the plan for sealing up the back..

I cut some "plugs" out of 1/4" balsa/plywood stuff I got at the local hobby store. Two for each side and a 1/8" cap for the very back...

IMG_5987.jpg

Took my time and dug out the foam about 1/2" as best as I could..

IMG_5986.jpg

Last edited:

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Nice job. I am gonna do that next year... I might even put some ping pong balls mixed with the foam to lighten it up a bit! I am gonna drill a couple small holes in the bottom to see how wet it is in there.

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
not sure if I am going to use the end pieces or not but my rough cutouts fit well, they are a little big so I will have to sand them down a little.

I figure out I get all these epoxyied in I will do a few (5-6) layers of glass to finish it up if need be.

IMG_5984.jpg

IMG_5985.jpg

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
Nice job. I am gonna do that next year... I might even put some ping pong balls mixed with the foam to lighten it up a bit! I am gonna drill a couple small holes in the bottom to see how wet it is in there.

Thanks. A buddy of mine and I are talking about heading out to the Rock n Ride so if we do you have to take it for a spin!!

looking good man.mine is gonna be shortened up soon too (when i get some time from school)
i weighed mine just before i tore it down a few weeks ago. with 2-2.5 gallons of fuel and some water in the hull it was at 352. so i figure its in the 335-340 range without fuel and completly dry. this year i am just going for it to be in the 330's ready to ride with no fuel.

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
hey thanks guys,

I have a little left on glassing the back and then thats done, need to finish up the exhaust, put the motor back together and do some more odds and ends and then its time to beat the hell out of it for a day or two in FL.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how my motor hits, the porting looks AMAZING. Tim did an absolutley fabulous job on it. That plus the flywheel and the new top end it should be amzing on the low end.

After I get back from FL I'm stripping it back down and painting the bottom black and repainting the top white and just gonig to cover it in stickers until I figure out a paint scheme.

rehak2

Here we go again!
Wow dude you did a kick a** job!!!!!!!! Cant wait to see it in person!!! It looks great!

Top Bottom