My 66E (GP800 PV800) conversion / transplant – CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
My 66E (GP800 PV800) conversion / transplant – CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

I’ve been wanting to transplant a 66E motor since I bought my first ski (blaster) about 3 years ago. After reading some reviews and advice I figured it had to be done! Since I have to build this from the sale of by backup/spare parts it’s going to have to be CHEAP. I got a good deal on a running xlt800 from tom21. The rest of the conversion should be able to be made from scrap aluminum. The WDK conversion is out of my price range – about $2,000 with tank.

This is a freeride ski. It has to have a big gas tank to make it to ride spots in tampa/sebby/st augie. The gas tank is driving the direction of this build.

Exhaust:
I’m trying to retain my factory b pipe. I’ve already got it and it fits the stock tank. I know it won’t be the optimal exhaust but they seem to work with stroker lameys so they should at least function here. It’s going to need an adapter plate to bolt up. The adapter is also going to serve as a spacer to clear the PV linkage. It’s going to be a tight fit, in the end I may not be able to retain the stock PV linkage. One thing working in my favor with the 66e is that the exhaust manifold mounting surface is closer to the cylinder centerline than the 61x/62t by about 1/8”. It’s not the width of the adapter but it will help. Also, the SJ mod chamber doesn’t clear the 66e case at the front of the motor. There may be some grinding / bending needed to get it to fit. I also have a blaster mod pipe to try out also (the more I think about it the more I think this is the way to go).

Engine mounting:
The engine is going to have to be mounted vertically to have any chance of getting the b-pipe to fit. I’m currently making cad drawings of the motor and hull and will have drawings made up to fabricate the bed plates.

Carburation:
I plan on using the stock 66e carbs. They are a very tight fit with the motor vertical. The stock exhaust tube gets in the way a little, might need to run front exhaust. The carbs are also close to the side of the hull, I may not run flame arrestors. I’ve got a couple of modified 46mm carbs that could be used if needed.

Concerns:
This motor is longer than the 61x/62t. It looks like it will touch or be very close to the stock gas tank. The length of the motor also pushes the pipe forward with may or may not be a problem. There is a chance the midshaft will need to be shortened.

Tom21 will be doing my machining at his shop – professional jetski repair (www.skishoprules.com) I’m hoping this build will help others get their projects going. I’m open to advice, criticism and ideas so please chime in

Last edited:

keefer

T1
Keep the good info coming, I am very interested in what you are trying to accomplish. I would like to shoe horn a 66e into a SJ hull and would like to do it on a small budget also. :bigok:

BROSS

The future right here
What kind of exhaust manifold are you using? How much of the B pipe are U using? I am thinking of doing this, has anyone rode one yet?

WaveDemon

What kind of exhaust manifold are you using? How much of the B pipe are U using? I am thinking of doing this, has anyone rode one yet?
I'm planning to use a whole bpipe with an adapter at the exhaust manifold. I was sent a PM that it's not a good idea and I should call him but I haven't got around to it yet.

To move my 66e in my blaster further back I cut and rethreaded the stub shaft and took a little of both couplers off.

RiverRat

I don't know about the b-pipe idea. I have one of Jeffs 1200's at my house w/ the SJ mounts and believe me they are worth every penny. $400 is a steal for what you get and how easy it makes things go together.

I'll second that. I spent a lot of time on making my own intake manifold and what a pain in the azz. I cut a Boyesen in half and welded it to a plate then had to redrill, recut, align. It would have been easier to by WD manifolds. Save time and most likely money and make it easier on yourself.

WaveDemon

save all of your "it's easier to buy" advice. I've got no money or credit and not that much to sell. I did talk to jeff tonight though and I may shift my build a little to an earlier idea I had that will require a little more fabbing.

RiverRat

IMO it is not worth the effort unless the 66e motor is a big bore. You can make good power on a budget w/ a 701 62t based motor and it will be just a hair lighter. As is, you are not looking to gain that much but allot of frustration.

Waterdawg Kustomz

RIP NATION
save all of your "it's easier to buy" advice. I've got no money or credit and not that much to sell. I did talk to jeff tonight though and I may shift my build a little to an earlier idea I had that will require a little more fabbing.

It was good talking to you. Tim is going in the right direction and I have NO doubt that it will kick A$$ when he is finished. :bananajump:

Jeff

So what about using a Type 9 dry pipe manifold like EME is rumored to use? Would that work with an adapter plate?

PS. Where are the pics?

Top Bottom