Super Jet my dream coming true

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
this may not be a crazy build like some but its my baby. i have been riding a 1992 550sx for two years now and i have been dreaming about super jets for two years now. i have had the opportunity this past year to save a lot of money and instead of saving it like a responsible person would im gonna put it in my adrenalin need. (the 550 wasn't filling it)

so a couple of months ago i bought my first SJ. its a 2004 and the engine is completely stock. it has foot holds, carbon fiber ride plate, straight bars with steering system, works intake grate, and a single bilge system as far as i know.... i haven't even seen it in person yet! ugh...

**update**
-jetworks freestyle porting w/ full transfers
-81.5mm bore
-wiseco pistons
-ada head-35 cc domes
-jetworks programmed e.p.i.c.
-b pipe-mod chamber
-jetworks moded stock cabs and intake
-carbon tec 2 stage reeds
-pro flow control valve
-cold fusion coupler
-stock flywheel lightened
-skat mag swirl
-140mm mag pump :Banane09:

ss pole spring, hood strap, tidy bilge harness, umi lever, tow loops....

IMG_4710.jpg
my internet sucks bad in Kuwait so this is about the only pic i could upload...

if you have any ideas and or tips, your comments will be appreciated

Last edited:

QJS

X-
Sounds good to me, I'm sure once you get used to the extra weight and size you will love it and because you have learnt on one of the most difficult skis to ride you will soon become very competant on the superjet. You are going to have a lot more power than you're used to, with this in mind it may be worth thinking about leaving the carbs and intake stock for now and putting that money into a hood kit.....just a thought.
Chris.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
thanks for your input Chris, im really excited about the epic by the way.

you have a good point with the power gains. i was thinking about keeping the carbs stock also, one being that a good setup is big money and two i would like to keep the throttle a little predictable untill i get use to the hull. i have been debating whether or not to mod my stock hood for now or bite the bullet and get a aftermarket kit. i cant quite justify paying that much money for a hood but then agian i may not be aware of all the benefits. i have also been thinging about a handle pole but have decided to shorten the stock one. 4 inches seems to be popular...? tubbies are also on my mind... destroyers or #zero's. i like how #zeros are clean looking and glassed on. with the destroyers it seems like your paying for the blowsion product name. also i like supporting the small businesses.

TB

NOTHING IS EVER PROMISED
zane depending on the turn plate i'd go -3 with the pole..i used to love my pole about 4 inches shorter when i had a stock turn plate...now i have a -3 xscream setup and a stock length pole..i'd like it more if it were and inch or 2 shorter, however then i'd be pushing it towards a little far forward for mostly rec riding and start causing myself some mild back discomfort....but if you're looking to keep the pole tight to the hood for rolling the shorter the better. one of the waterdawg hoods are a good buy and priced reasonable..i give you pole advice due to we are the same height.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
if funny you mention the wdk hood, i was just looking at it. 549 isnt so bad. and that black gel coat to match my ski and the pole. would i be able to use the pole spring with this setup still?

about the pole, i think it has a wamiltons turn plate. ill have to double check when i get it in front of me. so maybe 4-5 inches between pole and turn plate for a good all around use.

Last edited:

TB

NOTHING IS EVER PROMISED
for us short guys yeah...alot of shorter guys are running shorter on there competition boat's but i think that gives a good all around feel for everyday riding, performance and comfort....you can run whatever pole setup you like with the wdk hood and nose piece. it's primarily just an aesthetic choice. but looks killer and help with being able to hood ride and such...note that your throttle and trim levers will hit the sides if you crank the bars all the way tho' they do on my best friends ski with the wdk hood. we just turfed the sides of the back of the hood tho..no more scratches. and it was just 2 little strips of turf.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
the handle pole will be decided standing on the ski. but as far as the hood i think ima hold off and go for some tubbies and slick 2000 (haha j/k). ill opt for a new hood when tear the stock one apart. its kinda like this, why fix it if it isnt broke... it probably would help keep some water out but i plan on modding my stock hood a bit. this is my first sj so ima try different stuff out before i spend the big bucks.

but for the inside of the hull, i just email Art. i am like a little kid waiting on Christmas for him to email back. :biggrin:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Imho, figuring out handle pole length standing on a trailered ski is worthless. What feels great and perfect in the water will feel waaay too short on the trailer.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
i can always cut the stock pole down more if i need to. i will not be able to ride it in October and i know the stock length is too long so i figure ill start with 4 in (between pole and turn plate). how would you do it different if you have never rode a superjet or used a short pole? when i figure out exactly how short i like it ill go for the xmetal pole.

Imho, figuring out handle pole length standing on a trailered ski is worthless. What feels great and perfect in the water will feel waaay too short on the trailer.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
when i figure out exactly how short i like it ill go for the xmetal pole.

If you can swing the extra $$ I would save all the headache and start with an X-Metal adjustable pole, especially if you plan to go that route eventually anyway.

I have the RRP and between switching hulls, riders and components, I have saved buying 4 poles and numerous turnplates in the last 2 years alone. The ability to make adjustments is well worth the extra $$. For instance, when I swapped out a dominator plate to a stock D-cut, the back of the ski sank and the nose rode higher and i had to take another inch out of my pole to get my stance back. Adjustability is priceless...well actually it's only $130 more but you get the idea.
http://www.xmetalworks.com/cat/handle+poles+and+components/15

Looks like you have a pretty sweet ski on the build. The Superjet is a huge step up from what you are used to and you are going to love the EPIC, (great choice on all your initial components by the way). Glad I could help with the bilge wiring too, your harness shipped out friday morning. Looking forward to the build and hearing your back safely on US soil.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
hey, in2-h20

i never thought about if i had to change ride plates, that a whole new perspective on the idea. the only reason i didnt want to get an adjustable pole was from a durability standpoint. i dont like the RRP pole, functional maybe but way to bulky looking imo for a sj. its looks good on a more aggressive hull. but the xmetal adjustable looks nice. i think im still gonna shorten my stock pole for now. trying to keep budget... it will not cost me anything to shorten it, i have a rivet gun and some epoxy laying around. ill defiantly keep it in mind thou.

2 months bro! i cant wait to bust my knuckles (so to speak) on that 701!

Polish jet pilot

4aces4aces4aces4aces4aces
I wouldn't spend my money on tearing the engine don. Just get head, iginition, exhaust, reeds. Leave oem carbs. Play with the pump (bore nozzle, FS cone, good prop). You can throw in a small cart tank (more space, lighter). Hodd kit is a v.good idea. Then ride it over and over agian. Then go big motor and carbs.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
i understand where your coming from polish, but the seals need to be done for my peace of mind and i have a very large need for "power on demand" and porting is a must. i know my self way to well and if i dont port it now ill want to do it 6 months down the road... im trying to do a one shot, do it all kinda thing.

Be sure to do a write up on that EPIC. Iv heard good things. Seems like a lot of bang for your buck! Nise ski by the way. ill keep an eye on your progress as I am in the same position as you. A fairly stock boat that is crying to be modded!

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
Dont forget MSD enhancer bro, mo spark better curve or Is the EPIC an ignition system?????
Shorten & reinforce your handle pole too, if you want I will do one for you and you can send me yours and like $15 and pay frieght on both. The $15 is just for stainless hardware / resin and epoxy. No charge for my time since your putting in a shiot load of it for everyone here already. I have a black one ready to be hacked on, just say the word and we will swap out whenever you get back and ready.

Last edited:

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
For surf the tubbies are ok but IMO not completely needed. Its all in what feel you get used to. I would try the SJ without them first. Just My 2 cents.

If you are anywhere near 6' I would go a minimum of -4" on the pole with straight bars and short plate. Straight bars, not o-degree UMI style or -5' with the UMI style. I started at 3 and now love the -4.5' with x-metal style straight bars. Over the hood and bars means more control and it invites more aggressive riding style due to the added control.

Top Bottom