300/440/550 My JS550 struggles.

Ok gents, I am about done messing with these problems.

89 JS550, westcoast tank, stock everything besides K&N. Stock fuel line routing, water box, etc. After engine rebuild it took forever to get fuel primed, accomplished that and after some tuning she ran GREAT out of water, and ok but bogging in the water.

SO, I ran a dual pisser and it helped clean it out quite a bit. Now, it takes me forever to get it cleared out to even ride, and after you ride it once it wont start again. if you crash and let it die, it wont start until the next day!

I am thinking about cleaning up re-routing all the fuel lines (bypass reserve switch, etc), making sure all coolant lines are free and clear, and keep messing with the tune.

Its just frustrating, I want to be able to ride, hop off, and let my buddies take her for a rip. Thx for any input!

Heres the engine bay:
REBUILD2.jpg

2-1.jpg

P7140543.jpg

it could be alot of things i dont know about, i wish i could help you out. my question is what the hell you got that 550 turfed in Mylar foil?? is sooo shiny

EDIT
oh wait im stupid its white camo.

and i had an idea on your problem. make sure your tank is venting, aka big hiss in or out when you take gas cap off = not good

Last edited:

onedumbtrucker

Now with 20% more pulp.
I had the same problem, pop-off pressure was too low. The old springs in the round body BN's wear out. I stretched out the spring and was able to make it run 150% better but it doesn't last as the spring will lose tension again after a while. A smaller jet might work better or a new spring if you can find one.

reguar BN's dont have removeable jets i would do a rebuild or just experiment with the needle spring if the pop off pressure is too low (spring does not close the needle/seat valve) so fuel just leaks down into the motor and when you leave it sitting for a while and it dries out

Top Bottom